Chapter 28: MARE

He's sending me messages again.

Why is he killing them? Why? Does he expect me to run to him after leaving me notes in the bodies of the people I swore to protect?

But did he really kill them? With Maven, I am not really sure what to take.

"He's a monster," Cal said, his voice thundering above the gathered crowd. We were exhausted trying to run before Maven gets to them, but again we were too late.

He looks at me, like he's expecting me to explode. I wish I could. It shocked me to see bodies of innocent beings like me, who did not choose to be born the way they were, yet killed for what they are.

But.. I do not know what to say. Because...

"You think he didn't do this, didn't you?" Cal said, his eyes staring at me, accusing me.

"You seriously think he will change, don't you, Mare? Don't make a fool out of us. He clearly has you around his fingers. What does he have? You brought us here,"

Everybody's staring at Cal, and I can feel them trying to get into what Cal is trying to say.

I stood up. "Yes, I brought you here, and I will bring you out."

Cal laughed, as if he thinks it's a ridiculous idea now. "Yeah, by what? Surrendering yourself to him? Is that where this all ends?"

"Enough, Cal," Kilorn said, standing up.

But no. "Yes, Cal. In case this gets worst, I will be surrendering myself if that is what Maven wants. That is all he wants anyway. But we can still do something, and we're gonna do it. As long as we can fight, we will fight."

I do not know if my shaky voice can convince them anymore, but I walk out from the scene, unsure of myself. The lightning girl has lost her storm.

**********

A gentle knock disturbs me from my thoughts. I hesitate. I do not want to talk to anybody after Cal's accusations, but my brother already has his head popped from behind the door.

"Can I come in?" Shade asks.

I groan. "You are already in,"

"Oh yeah. But only partially," he smiled, and I can't help but gently smile at him, too, because Shade surely respects me. He could have easily shadowed in, but here he is, knocking as if.. as if we were both normal for a while.

He sat down at the foot of my bed, and I positioned myself to sit, setting my head on my cuddled knees.

Shade copied my move, and I raise an eyebrow at him.

"Well, looks comfortable but, okay anyway.. I came here to talk about what happened earlier," Shade said.

If it were other people who asked me about it, I would have snared at them. But I was tired, and this was Shade anyway.

"Yeah, I don't know," I said.

"What does your heart tell you?"

I laughed. If I were to really confess that, I would not be here now. I would be in those cold blue eyes.

I shrug, but Shade continues. "I guess it's awkward to tell your big brother, but tell you what.. you should listen to it."

"Even if it's pointing me to the wrong way?" Or the wrong person.

He smiled. "Yes, it's never gonna feel right anyway if it's against what you really want."

"How do you know if a person is real to you?" I ask.

Shade seems to think about this for a while. "Just believe in what you think he is. I think a person is only real to you if you believe he is. He has other sides of real. Other sides he shows other people."

"Isn't that still fake?"

"Well, are you showing me fake you, now?"

I shook my head.

"Precisely. You're showing me one real side of you. When you are out with the others, you show them one real side of you, too, as a leader. Don't pressure yourself, Mare. You're young," Shade says, and we sit in silence before he finally stands up, claiming that he's hungry.

I do not follow him, I am not hungry, but in a way, I am glad my brother told me what I am supposed to hear.