We Are Mostly Human

Chapter 6

Jay and Vinny sat up in their beds as they watched a news clip on Zane's phone. They had just finished watching the news clip about Vinny.

Jay sat there horrified because he saw the video of Kai and Vinny getting hit. The machine was also visible from the abandoned camera.

Zane glanced to Jay, "I'm sorry you had to see that. I wasn't thinking clearly. You should have had the option of remembering on your own." Zane looked down, disappointed in himself.

Jay smiled despite what he saw. "It's not your fault, Zane. My curiosity would've got the better of me anyway. I probably would look it up on my phone."

Zane seemed to relax. "Did the news clip at least spark any memories?"

Jay chuckled, "Hahaha... sparks." He reached up to his forehead and rubbed around where his bandages were because they were itchy. "That thingy in the video- the machine... I remember that. I'm assuming that's why Kai and Vinny are- wooop!" He made the sound effect has he gesture his arms to twist around each other.

Their attention switched to Cole as he stopped pacing in the hallway. Cole stood at the open door with his phone to his ear. He was on the phone with the mayor.

"Yes... Definitely ... ok no problem. Bye." Cole ended the call while giving Vinny a look. He sighed and sat down on the edge of Vinny's bed. "The mayor wants us to give a statement to distract the public from the attack. He wants everyone to know that Ninjago is safe and that you-" points to Vinny, "-are okay."

Zane held his chin in thought, "The last the public has seen of Kai is of him being taken away unconscious, so it would be beneficial for the citizens to know he is well."

Vinny looked at the two, "But I'm not Kai...and what about Kai?! The news showed that he escaped a hospital!"

Zane locked eyes with Vinny. "I know you are not Kai. But you are the closest we have. You will have to come with us to make a statement. As for the real Kai... he must have figured out something was wrong escaped the hospital with us in mind. He can handle himself for an hour but we better be quick."

Vinny pushed the sheets away and he placed his feet on the ground uncertain. "But they will know that I'm not Kai!"

Jay gestured fanning the air with a 'pfft'. "You already look the part! What would Kai do!"

"I know nothing about Kai! I just met you guys!"

"We can write you something to read." Zane suggested and held a hand out to Vinny. He took it and Zane helped him stand. "We'll help you through this as much as we can. Come, we have to get you changed."

After Zane left with Vinny wobbling behind, Jay looked to Cole. "I'm coming too, right?"

Cole smiled to Jay as he fiddled with the blanket. "We're going to need the whole team. Lloyd is trying to convince Nya to come." Cole placed a hand on Jay's shoulder to pause his nervous fiddling. "You actually might have a better chance at convincing her. She is a ninja too and someone has to remind her that. I know she is worried about joining us in battle and she can work her way into that slowly, but Ninjago has to see her standing with us."

Jay smiled and gave a little nod, "I'll talk to her." He laughed to himself, "But I might need an escort."

Cole turned his back to Jay, "Say no more."

Jay jumped onto Cole's back for a piggyback ride. "Weeeee!" Jay screamed as Cole walked at a normal pace through the halls.

/

The ninja were gathered in a small room and they could hear the chatter of the reporters in the next room. Everyone was dressed in their colored coded ninja garbs and Vinny looked down at himself.