Always in between: Who's side to choose. Chapter 3

"Welcome back to the nobles meeting Sir Flynn," says the sheriff of Nottingham.

"Thank you," says Flynn.

"I hope that your daughter has informed you of the last few years?"

"She has certainly," says Flynn and looks behind him where his daughter is.

Finn en Marian are the only two ladies who are allowed to be at the nobles meeting. Both because of their fathers.

The meeting is all about how much tax is collected. Finn said it to the sheriff because her father didn't know.

All went well until someone collected to little taxes. The sheriff goes complete berserk. All the money goes to him and not to the king like he said.

Finn and Marian know about that, but can't do anything about it. They have to follow the rules. So they try an another way.

"Lady Finn, can I speak to you in private."says the sheriff suddenly.

Flynn looks at his daughter with the question: Why does he have to talk to you?

Finn can't respond to her father and follows the Sheriff outside the room.

"Lady Finn, you know that this is yout last meeting?"asks the Sheriff.

"I know, my lord,"says Finn.

"I want you to keep coming to the nobles meetings with your father. I want to keep seeing your pretty and faithful face."

"As you wish, my lord."

"One more thing: Tonight, there is a celebration here because of your fathers return from the Holy Land and I want you to company me."

"I'll be there, my lord. But if my father needs me, I am with him." It's best not to argue with the Sheriff so Finn hopes that he agrees with it.

"So be it," is the only thing the sheriff says while they walk back.

The rest of the meeting the sheriff talked about the party for sir Flynn. Anyone can go afther that but Marian wants to speak Finn in private. Both fathers do so while their daughters talk to eah other.

"What said the Sheriff to you?" Marian asks.

"Do you want the good or the bad news first? " Asks Fin, but she doesn't have to wait for the answer because she knows that Marian wants the bad news first.

Finn tells her.

"What? You must spend the whole party with him?"

"Unless my father needs me," Fin says and comes up with something. "Please come too. Then I have two people who can save me."

The plan falls into pieces because Guy of Gisborne has asked Marian.

"Somethimes I think you are too much with the Sheriff,'Marian says suddenly. Finn looks at her uncomprehendingly.

"When you're the Shadowman, you occasionally are just like him,"Marian says, but then keeps her mouth shut because of what she said.

Finn can't believe that Marian, her best friend just called her bad. What people see of the Shadowman is perhaps bad, but what she does isn't. She tries just like Marian to help the poor.

"I go. I have some things to doe before the party starts." And Finn walks away without Marian could say something back.

In the coach to go back home Flynn asks his daughter what the sheriff wants from her.

He isn't happy to hear it and want to know why she does it.

Finn explains that she had no choice because she was afraid that if she would say no the sheriff would take away their lands and they had nowere to return to.

Finn explains also what kind of sheriff Vaisey is unlike sir Edward.

"Father, please don't do something to get the sheriff angy with you,"Finn almost beggs her father. "I've seen too many things that normally would not have happend."

"Don't worry, I can handle the sheriff and you don't have to company him."

Finn hopes it works.

When their home they tell everything. Finn is lucky that they didn't tell her mother that Finn must company the sheriff.

"Can I come to the party?" Fiore asks her big sister.

"I wish you could go with us Fiore, but this party is for adults."

"Aww,"says Fiore and looks sad. Finn gives her little sister a hug and takes her with her to do something with her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author: Just a little question for you guys. Do you want to know what would happen at the party or do you want me to skip it?