Chapter 16

After school ended, I immediately went home to get ready for my "research" or whatever awaited me in my old hometown. Thankfully, my afternoon classes were cancelled so I don't have to worry about traveling a far distance when it would get dark.

"Are you sure you're going to do this?" My brother asked me, rather concerned.

"Yeah, don't worry, I'll be fine." I reassured him. "I'll be back around dinner time."

"Alright Sis... take care."

I said my goodbyes to Daryl and left for the train station. It would take me around one and a half hour to reach my old hometown, plus after reaching the train stop, I still need to take a bus.

The trip on the train was boring but it gave me enough time to think of how I would locate Ben's dead body or how I could find out how he died. And maybe put him to rest or something. Afterall, I've been his only friend so far.

After several hours of traveling I exited the bus, having finally arrived at the town I had lived before. I took a thorough look at my surroundings, nostalgia flowing through me as faint memories returned to me. Yes... it does seem familiar.

And suddenly I realized I missed this environment. The silent, peaceful atmosphere with only the birds' chirping being the sound. This was the true home for a loner, different from that noisy populated city. But even though it felt good to be back I can't deny the feeling that something is different.... Something feels very different. But I don't have time to waste dwelling on my nostalgia, I came here for something.

I took out the pieces of paper where mine and Ben's addresses where scribbled on. First off, l'll try to see my own house, maybe I can ask them something.

I oriented myself finding my house using the street signs and eventually did.. and there it was. Yes I remember it very well. I even remember where my room was... the top most window, that has been my room!

"What are you doing?" A man in his mid thirties suddenly appeared  from the inside of the yard of my house. I stood close to the fence outside so he must think I'm some creep or something.

"I uhh... uummm... was just looking around."

"Do you need something? Why are you staring so intently at my house?" So he currently lives here.

"Oh... uhh... I was actually looking for a boy named Ben."

"Ben? I know a lot of Benjamins but they don't live here."

"Oh... I see. Sorry for bothering you then." I apologized and walked away. Since he was living in my former house now, that means he probably doesn't know about that incident. I decided to head to Ben's house then. Maybe his father is still there? How would he react if I asked him about his he killed? Would he kill me too?

 I have come this far, it's too late to chicken out. I have to find the truth about Ben. Plus, if his father tried to kill me as well, Ben would protect me, right? Gahh, why am I being so depended on Ben anyways? I have to help him, not have him helping me!

I walked towards Ben house which was a couple of blocks away from my old one. I gathered all my confidence and ringed the bell.

 The door was opened by a teenage girl and her mother, looking rather curious. I'm pretty sure these people are not related to Ben....

"Umm... good day... I was just wondering if Ben lives here..." I felt pretty stupid for asking this question but who knows? I didn't come here just to give up.

"Ben? We don't have anyone named Ben here. He probably lives in another house. What is his last name?"

Shoot. I had no idea. They could probably help me but how was I going to say that Ben was actually already dead and perhaps used to live here? I mean I'm pretty sure this was his address before, why would he write it anyways?

"I'm sorry, I don't think we can help you." The mother said and closed the door. What was I going to do now? Where should I go?

I thought for a moment before deciding to maybe go to the cemetery. Maybe I could find his grave and give him flowers or something. Looking for information is harder than I thought. I don't know anyone else here. Did Ben's father move away too?

I finally made it to the cemetery and started searching fro Ben's name. There were several Benjamins but they died way before I was born. I kept looking but couldn't find him. What was wrong with Ben? It's like he never even lived here before!

"What's wrong, sweet cheeks? You look lost." An elderly man suddenly called me up. That must be the graveyard keeper!

"Umm... Was looking for a boy named Ben..."

"Ben?"

"Yeah... he died several years ago...."

"That kid that drowned before?"

My eyes widened . He seems to have an idea of what I'm talking about.

"You- you know of him? What happened to him?"

"That boy died of an accident long ago. He drowned in the river nearby."

"Accident?" Looks like people didn't know he was actually killed by his father. But as I recalled in the story of Ben drowned it was stated he died in an accident.

"Yeah... No one found his body."

"How do they know he drowned if no one had ever found his body?"

"Cause his PlayStation or whatever that console is was found beside the river."

He must mean my old Nintendo 64...

"Police tried to look for him but he was no where to be found so they just gave up. They told his dad to have a memorial for his son here, even without his body but I dunno what was wrong with that guy. That kid's dad was a pretty weird bastard."

"Why?"

"Why would a parent not want to have any kind memorial for their kid?"

"Don't you think... his father killed his own son?"

"Hmm? That man was a fucked up bastard but I'm not gonna say he's a murderer."

"Where is he now?"

"He moved a couple of years ago. God knows where that bastard is right now."

"I see... Do you remember their names?"

He shook his head.

"Why were you looking for that kid anyway?"

"Ah well... he used to be my friend and I heard he died so..."

"Really? Sorry to hear that. Looks like you aren't really lucky here."

I thanked the graveyard keeper and left the cemetery. A lot of things were in my mind. Why did that have to happen to Ben? Why would his father kill him? What am I supposed to do now? I walked to the river which was the place where Ben had met his end.

 I feel so useless. What am I supposed to do now? There's no way I can help Ben now without knowing his father's name and even if I did, what evidence could I provide?

From the corner of my eyes I saw someone standing on the other side of the river but as I looked, no one was there. Strange...

I was about to leave while wondering what to do next when a hand wrapped around my ankle. Extremely startled, I turned my head to see someone slowly emerging from the water.

"I knew you would come, (n)!"