31

Wait, daddy?!

The question left me shook and dumbfounded. I couldn't exactly find the correct words to answer him. His question was just very pure and very innocent, but rather a very difficult one. I opened my mouth several times, but closed it down not finding a proper sentence to form.

As Sam was growing, he needed a father figure by his side, someone who he can call his father and I knew this day would come when he would ask me of his father, but I didn't know that this day would come this soon. After Greece, this was the first time he was asking me about his father and even today, I couldn't answer him without hesitation.

My eyes darted towards Mr. Steele who was looking at me with a sharp and confusing stare. His eyes held questions and too many of them, screaming for answers. His hold on the bench tightened and I could feel his knuckles turning white. He looked intently at me waiting for the answer.

"No, baby." I answered shortly, not looking straight in his eyes. Even if he was a kid, I felt guilty looking into his eyes.

"Where is he, mwummy?" He asked, his eyes glistening with purity.

"Yes, answer him. Where is his father?" Mr. Steele asked, making me look up at him and meet his intense gaze. I felt like, he wanted to know the answer more than Sam and for some reason, I felt ashamed of myself.

"He lives very far, baby." I replied, caressing his chubby cheeks as a frown appeared on his face.

"But Shammy wants pway wif daddy!" He whined and my eyes started to get watery. I turned my head and wiped away some unshed tears and looked back at him. I planted a small kiss on his forehead and gave him a small smile before replying,

"Uncle Mattie plays with you, doesn't he?"

He nodded his head at this and I could see that he was not really satisfied with the answer. Crease appeared on his forehead as he opened his mouth again,

"But you say Uncle Mattie ish not my daddy."

"Yes, because he is your uncle, baby."

"Shammy wants daddy." He said with a sad face, as tears started to form in his eyes which automatically lead me into crying as well. I knew that this day would come, but I was not prepared for any of this.

Today was supposed to be a relaxation day, but instead it turned to be exactly the opposite of it. All these while, Mr. Steele sat silent, not uttering a single word and just watched me struggle. He did not even once tried to divert Sam's attention, instead he fuelled the fire more.

I diverted my gaze from Sam to him whose gaze was constantly fixated on me waiting for me to say something, but what was I supposed to say? That your father died? And I am not even your real mother? He would surely hate me after that.

My brain was still raking for a perfect answer when Mr. Steele suddenly spoke, "Come here, champ." He held Sam and made him sit on his lap before passing him a small smile—A very rare smile. It was a smile which looked very genuine and real.

"You look just like your mom, don't you?" He asked, as Sam giggled and nodded his head happily.

"Yes, Gwanny say that too!" He answered, enthusiastically, his early question forgotten long ago.

"How old are you?" He asked to which Sam showed his tiny three fingers.

"Three, huh?"

"Yes!"

"Does mummy takes good care of you?" He asked and I furrowed my eyebrows. Now, this was not going in the direction I thought it was. I literally thought that he was just trying to divert his mind off, but he was a kind of man who was very difficult to understand.

"Yes!" He said happily and frantically nodded his head before continuing, "Mommy buys Shammy chocowates, lot of toys and she pways with Shammy too! Shammy wuvs mommy." An unknown tear slipped from my right eye which I quickly wiped away as a huge smile appeared on my face.

Maybe he doesn't really hate me.

He never really did in the first place, you idiot.

"She is amazing, isn't she?" He asked, but now he was looking at me with his piercing blue eyes and my cheeks instantly flushed red. There was just something about his eyes that makes me trust him more and more every single time. My heart started beating faster and butterflies fluttered in my stomach.

The things this man does to me.

"Why do you want a father?" He asked and the huge grin on Sam turned down into a frown as he fidgeted with his fingers— One of my habits when I get nervous that he has cultivated into him.

"Shammy want pway with daddy."

"Can I play with you?" He asked and my eyes widened in accordance.

What exactly was he trying to do?

"You will?!" He asked, excitedly and Mr. Steele nodded his head, a huge smile planted on his lips.

"Ofcourse, I will." Sam clapped his hands happily as Me. Steele continued which made me stand up in shock, curiosity and slight anger, "That's what father is for after all."

"What are you upto, Mr. Steele?!" I asked, angrily as my fist were clenched tightly.

"What are you talking about, baby?"

"This is no game, Aaron! Knock it off." I know, I was not supposed to say any of this to him considering how he is my boss and he might fire me for this and how it is not even my nature, but when it comes to Sam, I become the most possessive mother ever.

"I am not playing any games, sweetheart. What are you talking about?" He spoke, standing up from the bench and standing right across me. If it would have been any other circumstances, then I would have swallowed hard in nervousness, but today it was different. We were not talking about me, but my baby and if he was trying to play some sick game, then he wouldn't hear it's end from me.

"Mommy?" My eyes diverted to Sam, who was sitting on the bench, intently watching both of us bicker.

"Yes, Sammy?"

"Why you angwy at daddy?" My eyes widened and took a step further towards Mr. Steele, poking my index finger into his chest.

"This is what I am talking about! You cannot just lead him to believe that you are his father when you are not planning on staying with him forever. He is still a child and he takes everything seriously a—"

"Who said anything about leaving, Sienna?" My heart stopped beating for a moment and I thought I heard wrong, but when his lips smashed upon mine after saying the next words, just made me believe how true those words were.

"Didn't I say that if you are mine then he is mine too? And I am not planning on leaving you anytime soon baby, atleast not until I am still breathing."

••••••••

How do you like the plot line so far?