VIII

Thomas and Teresa walked inside the building and he whispered, "Don't stop."

They climbed down a flight of stairs, and soon, Teresa was surrounded by four guards, one quite a bit shorter than the rest.

"Hold on. Hold on." Gally said, stopping at an electrical box. "I can get us in here. Stay there."

Throw me the walkie." Thomas said.

Gally tossed him the walkie and Thomas, followed by Ariella, went down another set of stairs.

Newt was coughing. He could feel the disease spreading. He knew he didn't have much longer.

Thomas said into the walkie, "Frypan, we're in. How you doing?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm getting there." Frypan said. "Tell Minho "Hi" for me."

"Hang in there, buddy."

"Will do." Ariella added.

"Brenda, what's your status?" Thomas asked.

"Status is, I'm working on it." Brenda answered.

"Copy. Just make sure you're ready on your end."

"Don't worry. You know I'm gonna be there."

"Alright, let's go." Gally said placing the box on the inside of the electrical door.

As soon as the doors opened, Gally and the others were there. The guard was tased and fell to the ground. They tased the other guards and stopped once they were all down.

Newt opened one of the cell doors and smiled. "You guys are okay. Come on."

"Come on, let's go. Newt, check the other cell." Thomas said.

Ariella opened a cell and a boy about ten frowned. "Aren't you a little short for a guard?"

She removed her helmet and pulled her hair out from the suit. "Let's go, guys."

The boys smiled and ran out.

Thomas looked for Minho, but wasn't finding him. "Shit. He's not here." He walked up to Teresa and asked, "Where is he?"

"Somebody's moved him up to the medical wing." Teresa said after checking the computer. "Thomas, Ariella, that's on the other side of the building."

Thomas nodded. "Okay, take us to him."

"Right now." Ariella added.

Teresa nodded. "Alright."

"I'm coming with you two." Newt commented.

"Newt, no, you're not. You have to stay here, wait with Gally for the serum." Thomas told him.

"You can't do this on your own. Minho comes first, remember?"

"I'm not alone. I've got Ari."

"Just go." Gally said. "We're wasting time. I'll get the serum."

"Okay, fine." Thomas decided. "Let's go. Come on."

"Hey Greenie. Greenbean." Gally called. "Good luck."

They slipped their helmets back on and Teresa led them through the building.

"Keep moving." Thomas told her.

Thomas pressed the button for the elevator, wanting it to come faster. "Come on, come on." He pushed it again.

Ariella sighed. "That's not going to make it come any faster."

"Very helpful." Thomas muttered.

"Stop flirting." Newt hissed. "We don't have time for that."

The elevator finally arrived and Thomas pushed Teresa in. The three 'guards' stood behind her. A hand stopped the elevator from closing all the way and Janson entered. "Hold it."

Thomas clenched his hand around the trigger and Ariella rested her head on his arm for a moment before shaking her head.

Janson noticed Teresa. "You're working late. See, that's what I like about you, Teresa. No matter how bleak things get, you just...Well, you never give up. Times like this, you need a friend that you can count on."

"I'll bear that in mind." Teresa replied.

"There is one thing you should know. Two things, I suppose. One friend to another. Thomas and Ariella are here." The 'guards' in back exchanged a subtle look. "A surveillance picked them up outside the walls. Ava didn't want you to know, but there is a chance that they may try to contact you, and if they do, I'd like to think that I'd be your first call."

"Are you going to kill them?" Teresa asked.

"Would that be a problem?"

"This is me."

As they got off, Janson placed a hand on Ariella's shoulder. "Aren't you a little short for a guard?"

She mustered her deepest voice and said, "Trainee, sir. Good day, Janson."

"Good day."

[Who caught the Star Wars reference? It's said twice. Props if you did!]