XIV

They slowly huddled together and one of the girls said, "Aris?"

Aris' eyes widened. "Oh, my God. Harriet?"

"My God." She hugged him. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Sonya."

Sonya hugged him. "You're lucky we didn't shoot your dumb ass."

"How...What's happening?" Minho asked, obviously confused.

"We were in the maze together." Aris replied.

Harriet whistled and said, "We're clear, guys! Come on out!"

Voices echoed that it was clear and to stand down.

Sonya led them into the tunnel. "Back it up, Joe! Back it up! We're taking them to base."

Thomas took Ariella's hand as they followed the two girls Aris knew. Harriet told Aris that the Right Arm had gotten them out. That got Thomas' attention. "Wait. The Right Arm? Do you know where they are?"

Harriet opened a car door. "Hop in."

They did so, and soon, two trucks were driving down to their base. When they arrived, they got out. They saw kids all over.

As they walked closer to the camp, Sonya said, "They've been planning this for over a year now. This is all for us. You guys are lucky you found us when you did. We're moving out at first light. Where's Vince?"

"Somewhere over there, I think." The guy said.

"Who's Vince?" Thomas wondered.

"He's the one who decides if you get to stay." Harriet replied.

"I thought the Right Arm was supposed to be an army." Minho said.

"Yeah, we were." A man answered, stepping from a tent. "This is all that's left of us. Lot of good people died getting us this far. Who are they?"

"They're immunes." Harriet told him. "Caught 'em coming up the mountain."

"Did you check 'em?"

"I know this guy, Aris. I trust him."

"Well, I don't. Check 'em."

Brenda suddenly fell to the ground and Jorge held her. Vince pulled back her pants leg to reveal a wound that was now black and purple. Vince pulled out a gun. "Crank! We got a Crank!"

Thomas immediately stepped in. "Wait, wait! Listen, okay? This just happened, okay? She's not dangerous yet."

"You shouldn't have brought her here!"

"I know."

"We let Cranks in here now, the safe haven doesn't last a week!"

"I understand, okay? I understand. Just listen. Please. Please, okay? I told her that you could help. Okay?"

"No."

"There's got to be something you can do."

"Yeah, there is. I can put her out of her misery."

Ariella stepped forward. "Absolutely not. She helped us escape and the least you can do it help her."

A woman stepped forward and Vince said, "She's infected, Doc. There's nothing we can do for her."

"No, but they can. Hello, Thomas. Hello, Ariella."

Thomas and Ariella exchanged a confused look. "What? You know us?"

The doctor studied the two of them. "Interesting. It makes sense they'd put you two in the maze. Though I must admit...I was worried they'd kill you after what you two did."

Thomas frowned. "What we did?"

"The first time we spoke, you two said you couldn't take it anymore...watching your friends die, one by one. The last time we spoke...you both gave me the coordinates of every WICKED compound, trial, and lab."

They were our sources." Vince realized.

"We couldn't have pulled this off without them." Her gaze turned to Brenda. "Take her to the tent. Get these guys some warm clothes." Brenda was lifted up. "Careful. Hey, it's the least we can do."

Thomas and Ariella noticed the look of utter betrayal Teresa was giving them.

"Can I help?" Ariella spoke up. "I was a Med-Jack in the maze, and I remember all I learned."

The doctor nodded. "Thomas, come on. I need to get some blood from you. You as well, Ariella. Just in case."

They followed the doctor to the medical tent. The two of them gave blood and Ariella dressed Brenda's wound as the doctor said, "In the beginning, we were lost. All we knew for sure...was that the younger you were, the stronger your chances."

"You worked for WICKED?" Thomas asked.

"Long time ago. You know, at first, we had the best intentions. Find a cure, save the world. It was clear you kids were the key, because you were immune. But why? Eventually we found an answer. An enzyme produced by the brains of the immune. Once separated from the bloodstream...it can serve as a powerful agent to slow the spread of the virus."

"So you found a cure?" Ariella asked hopefully.

The doctor met her eyes. "Not exactly. The enzyme can't be manufactured, only harvested from the immune. The young. Of course, that didn't stop WICKED. If they had their way...they'd sacrifice an entire generation. All for this. A gift of biology. Of evolution. But one not meant for all of us."

She injected the serum into Brenda's arm. Instantly, the girl's breaths eased. "How long will that give her?" Thomas wondered.

"A few months maybe. But that's the catch, isn't it? She'll always need more. Okay. Let's go outside. Let them rest." She pulled up Jorge and Ariella.

The girl frowned. "If you don't mind, I'd like to watch over her."

The doctor nodded. "Sure Thomas, Ariella, you know she can't come with us, right?"

Before they joined the others, Thomas pulled Ariella to the side. "I've been meaning to get this off my chest. While we were separated, before you found me in that club, uh, Brenda kissed me. I don't know if it was what I drank or what, but I kissed back. Only for a moment."

Ariella pursed her lips. "We're not together, but that hurts."

"As soon as I pulled away, I saw you, and I realized I want to be with you."

"Any one else you've kissed?"

"Teresa, but that was awhile ago. Back in the Glade."

Ariella tilted her head. "I think we were together, but I don't remember. Now, we're not, so I guess it's okay. I still don't like it, though. Promise me you won't kiss another girl again, though."

Thomas smiled. "You're the only girl I want to kiss, Ari."

She returned his smile. "Good. Ask me out later, when everything settles down, cause I have the feeling more trouble is coming our way."