IV

Together, Thomas and Ariella made their way to the guards. Ariella was to try to sweet talk them, and Thomas was the brawn.

Newt frowned at his friends. Thomas, by himself, was reckless, but was even worse when Ariella participated with him. The two of them, he swore, shared one brain cell when it came to stupid decisions.

Thomas started banging on the door and Minho frowned. "What is he doing?"

"I think he's drawing attention to them."

One of the guards frowned. "Hang on. You weren't called."

Thomas nodded. "I know, we're just gonna be a second."

"This is a restricted area, kid."

Ariella smiled. "Please, sir. We just want to see our friend. Can you let us through?"

The guard glared at her. "Get your asses back in those chairs." Thomas turned around while Ariella remained stationary. Seconds later, he lunged at the guard. The guard held him back and Ariella tried to sneak behind the guards, but was grabbed by her shirt collar.

"What's your problem, man? What the hell, huh?"

"Back off!"

"Why won't you let us see her?"

"Back off! Control your friend!"

At that moment, Janson walked over. "What's happened here? Thomas? Ariella? I thought we could trust each other. You know we're all on the same team here."

Thomas scoffed. "Are we?"

"Get them to their bunks." Janson instructed.

The kids were led to their bunks and pushed in. "Get your asses in there! All of you!"

The second the door closed, Minho asked, "What they hell was that about?"

"You didn't really think they were just gonna let you through?" Newt asked.

Ariella smirked as Thomas said, "Nah, course I didn't. Ari?"

She held up the keycard she'd stolen when she'd tried to sneak around. She had an uncanny talent for pickpocketing.

Thomas smiled. "We're gonna find out what's on the other side of that door."

"Right." Newt answered.

"Newt, they're hiding something, okay?"

Ariella nodded. "Something fishy is going on. I don't think these people are who they say they are."

"No, Thomas, Ariella, you don't know that! The only thing that we do know is that they helped rescue us from WICKED. They gave us new clothes. They gave us food. They gave us a proper bed. Some of us haven't had that in a long time."

"Yeah, but..." Thomas began.

"Some of us a lot longer than others."

"Hey, Thomas." Aris said, appearing in the room.

"What the..."

"You got it, didn't you?"

Thomas nodded. "Yeah. Let's go. Alright, look, maybe you guys are right. Maybe Ari and I are just being paranoid. But I gotta find out for sure. Just cover for me. I'll be back as soon as I can. And Ari, you're staying here."

"But..."

"Please. I don't want you getting hurt."

She nodded in defeat and Thomas kissed her forehead before disappearing back into the vent with Aris.