Chapter 29 | In the Morning |

Começar do início

"He can't stay with his mom. I'm worried about him."

"Emma, are you sure? You guys have been fighting for months-"

"Yes, I'm sure. He can't go back there. It's not safe." She borders begging.

"And he's safe here?" Emma nods.

"Mom, I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important."

"Okay," Kay agrees. "But he sleeps downstairs."

"Of course," Emma moves past her mom to the door.

"Of course?" Kay sounds inquisitive.

"That's always been the rule," she shrugs.

"Then why was he upstairs with you?"

"We just fell asleep talking," Emma explains and it's halfway true.

"Emily Elaine Parker, you are a terrible liar, you know that?"

"I have to go, Mom," she motions to the door. She wasn't a great liar, but there still was a lot Kay hadn't caught onto. It was one of the few perks of being a latch key kid.

"Did you hear what happened last night?"

"No?"

"Some girl was found on the other side of the lake."

"Who was it?"

"I don't know, she was... spread out everywhere apparently," Kay sighs. "They're trying to do some DNA tests, figure it out."

"Shit."

"Yeah. Were you here all last night?"

"Yes," Emma lies right through her teeth.

"Please don't leave the house after the sun goes down, don't open the door."

"I know, I know," she tells her mother.

"The same rules go for Roman if he's staying here."

"We'll be back before sundown, I promise."

.....

Olivia's truck isn't there when they arrive which takes a weight off of Roman's back. He hadn't had the time or energy to decide how to proceed with his life. On step at a time, he'd been telling himself that all morning. One step at a time.

He parks near the back kitchen door, just in case they needed a quick way to escape without anyone noticing. They make their way in and up the back stairs. Emma asks him where he thinks Peter is, but he doesn't answer. He grabs her hand and keeps pulling her up the stairs- Roman knows exactly where Olivia stored Peter.

Poor Shelley had been kept out of her room for almost two weeks now. Peter sits in the hospital bed fast asleep, although he has begun to move slightly, a twitch here, and eye flutter there. Roman sits on the sofa. He peaks over his shoulder every few minutes to check on Peter.

Emma has kicked her shoes off and is curled up with her head in his lap. "Told you we didn't have to rush," she says as soon as they enter the room to find him still fast asleep. The minutes seem to drone on forever as they both lull in and out of sleep.

Finally, the noise of the sheets moving brings them closer to the bed. Peter moans and groans, trying to open his eyes. Roman was fully aware of how much the transition took out of him, but Emma was worried about it. When Peter's eyes fully open he tries to sit up. Roman places a hand on his chest and pushes him back down. "Hey, hey," he says. "It's okay, you're okay."

"My fucking head hurts," Peter rubs his eyes and looks around. "Did you drag me all the way back here?"

"Last time I saw you you were down."