Chapter 1 | Daddy Issues |

They'd known each other forever. Forever might be an exaggeration, but neither could truly recall the first time they'd met. It must have been preschool, maybe kindergarten. She could remember parts of his dads funeral, and he could remember parts of her dad when he was still around.

Emma's mom wasn't as cold as his, but she was often distant. Where Olivia was overbearing to Roman, Kay Parker was missing. She was a hardworking woman because she had no other choice. It was never her intention to be so sepereated from her daughter so often, but life got in the way. Well, work got in the way. Your mom being a third shift nurse had its disadvantages. She was alone a lot as a child, or at a friends house. But now, as a teenager, it was perfect.

Kay left at 10:15 PM and didn't return until almost 8:00 AM, leaving plenty of time for Emma to do what she wanted- like go to the party she was at.

It was nearly 1:00 AM when they stumble out of Roman's car and towards the house, arm in arm. They'd spent the last Saturday of summer drinking mojitos by the pool and pushing one another in. They had slowed down enough to take a nap before they got the call from Scotty that he was throwing and back to school party. Neither really wanted to go, but it seemed obligatory to make an appearance.

People hated Roman as much as they loved him. Even though he could be a dick and kept acquaintances rather than friends, they wanted to be like him. And those who didn't want to be him wanted to be with him. She was just along for the ride of ass-kissing and flirting. It was pure entertainment to watch people fawn over a boy she remembered being incredibly awkward and uncomfortable in his own skin. Nobody ever saw that part of him. To the public Roman Godfrey had always been a arrogant figure in this town.

"Let me know when you want to go." He shouts over the music before they part ways. She nods and watches him leave. She knows he'll be making his way into the bathroom to do a couple lines then he'll wander around until he finds a girl for the night. He was predictable. It wouldn't take long.

In the kitchen, she finds a beer and some friends. Emma makes her way into the small circle of people she had also known her whole life. It was a small town after all. "Did you hear there's a new guy?" Kim asks. Kim was tall and brilliant, possibly the smartest girl in school. It seemed to come effortlessly to her.

"No." Ally shakes her head, long blonde hair barely moving from its place.

"He and his mom are gypsies. I've never met gypsies before." Kim replies.

"Like Esmerelda?"

"No," Emma pops in. "Gypsies are pretty modern, they just move around a lot. It's more of a lifestyle."

"Ooooh, you've done your research." Kim teases her.

"No, I've watched Big Fat Gypsy Weddings on TLC." The girls laugh at that. "I had a pretty boring summer, okay?"

"Either way, it's going to be an interesting year." Ally adds, not even knowing the half of it.

"What's Roman doing tonight?" Kim asks.

"Okay, but who is Roman doing tonight." Ally jumps in. Even though they were her friends, they weren't excluded from the Roman Godfrey Charm™. They swooned as hard as anyone else, but had enough respect for their friend to bite it back a little. Just a little.

"He's here somewhere, and your guess is as good as mine."

Kim eventually wanders off, trying to get the attention of a junior named Logan. Emma follows Ally outside to dip her feet in the pool. "Sorry, I'm being lame tonight."

"You're not being lame!" Emma assures her. "I'm tired, so I'm glad I have someone to be low-key with."

"I'm just sad about Tyler again." Emma accidentally groans out loud. "I know, I know! It's bad." It had been two years of these shenanigans, and she couldn't see why Ally was still hung up on this guy.