Chapter 17 | Auld Lang Syne |

A/N smut smut smut alert and some potentially triggering sexual situations. Also the gif is clearly not emma, but use you imagination guys

"Happy New Year!" Emma hears someone shout as soon as she opens the door. She has no idea what direction it came from or who shouted it. She had come to the party alone and unsure which, if any, of her friends, would be there. She knows Scotty is throwing a competing party at his place, so it's hit or miss on who's where.

She remembers back freshman, or sophomore year, when she would come to these parties there were always girls like her there. Girls who show up alone only to leave with someone. Of course, this is her first time truly showing up alone, but she knows she's no different. The only thing separating her from them was that she still got ready to go out. At some point, those girls stopped trying and wore sweat pants an put their hair in loose buns.

Emma still takes her time doing her make-up and her hair. After last times torturous trek through town from Scotty's, she decides to dress somewhat appropriately for the weather, a plaid wool skirt instead of a polyester one. It's still cold on her walk over, but this house is only about 15 minutes away so it's bearable. Plus, she reasons, it's going to be hot inside.

Over the years, she had become a pro at showing up at the right time. Not too early, not too late, right as it's really getting going. She's handed a jello shot from a stranger and shoots it back trying to not gag on the texture. The rule of "never take a drink from a stranger' was thrown out the window a long time ago and she accepts the first solo cup passed to her.

She's never been a dancer, but after too many sugary drinks she lets herself be dragged to the middle of a sweaty group of teenagers by a guy she remembers from gym class last year. He holds her hips and pulls her a bit too closely to him. She manages to lose him in the crowd and is pulled away by someone else. She gets too hot and dizzy and pushes her way out and to the kitchen. She goes straight for the fridge, filling her cup up with water and downing it, then repeating.

A group of freshmen stand in the corner staring at her wide-eyed. Drunk, and just pissed off enough, she gives them a harsh wave. They all look away quickly but one of them approaches her. She's pretty sure she used to be friends with the weird writer girl. Her name was Allison? Anna? No that's not it- it's something with an A though.

"Hey," she smiles at Emma. Emma makes no motion to move. The girl smiles again hoping for some reply. "I'm Ashley," ah Ashley, that was it. Emma raises her eyebrows wanting the girl to get to the point. "I wanted to know if you'd introduce me to Roman. I know you're friends, and I think he's really cute."

"You're a little bold thing, aren't you?" She jokes. Ashley blushes and lets out a little laugh. "I'll help you out."

"Really?" She bounces on her feet, giddy.

"Yeah, here's a piece of advice," Emma leans in, face growing cold again. "You should go fuck yourself and leave me the fuck alone before I kick your ass." Ashley's eyes bulge open and she quickly turns away. She returns to her group who all look over at Emma again.

She ignores them and makes her way to the counter that's overflowing with liquor. She downs three or four shots (it might be five, but who's counting?) of tequila. When she tries to walk away she can feel her stomach-turning. She spins around just quickly enough to throw up in the sink. She knows people are watching her, but her ears are ringing and she can't hear any of them. She cups a bit of water in her hand to rinse her mouth out before grabbing her solo cup and leaning back to catch her breath.

Even with her eyes closed, when Emma hears the sound of familiar giggles and she knows what it means. She knows the girls in the corner were swooning and shying away from their dream boy: actual human disaster Roman Godfrey. She tries to stand up to leave the room before he sees her. It's too late. He's already approaching her.