Chapter 21 | Sleepovers |

Second floor bathroom

11:25

She turns to look at him but he won't meet her gaze. Whatever, it's not like she's going to go anyways. She balls it back up and tosses it in her backpack. The teacher tells them to open their books, and she struggles to keep up with the notes being put on the board. Nothing too new there, though.

They're reading Macbeth now, which isn't the worst thing they could have read in her opinion. It's not that she doesn't like or respect the play, it's just that she's already read and seen it performed. Roman, on the other hand, has never and never will finish it. He hasn't even looked up the plot on the internet.

When the bell rings, she wastes no time standing and getting as physically far away from him as possible. She goes to her locker, grabs her French book, and goes right to her desk. Not even stopping when her friends say hello to her. Once class starts, she tries to ignore the clock on the wall. It's moving slowly as if to tease her with the option to go.

It's 13 minutes into class when her curiosity gets the better of her. She slowly raises her hand. "Oui, Emma?" The teacher calls out.

"May I go to the restroom?"

"En français?"

"Puis-je aller aux toilettes?" She bites back an eye roll.

"Oui," he nods.

"Merci." Once in the hallway, she tries to keep her feet at a normal pace, but the anxiety starts to build up. She can hear the patter of her boots speed up as she gets closer. She stands outside the door thinking it over. Is she really going to go meet him just because he asked her to?

"What?" She asks as soon as the door is closed behind her. Roman stands, leaning against the sink with a cigarette lit. He holds one out to her and she shakes her head no.

"Hi," he says softly, looking her up and down. She tries to ignore his gaze.

"I'm not coming with you guys tonight," she says flatly, putting it out there.

"Oh," he laughs a little, "this has nothing to do with the stuff tonight. Well, not completely."

"Well, what then?"

"I just thought," he struggles for words. "I don't know, I just thought if you were going to die tonight we should probably y'know..."

She raises her eyebrows, unsure what he's trying to get to. They should what? Talk about all the horrible things he's done before she dies? "What?" She asks, frustrated.

"We should probably fuck one last time," he says so quick she almost misses it.

"Oh my god," she says with disgust and turns to leave.

"I mean, just in case," he chases after blocking the door.

"Just in case I die?" She laughs. "You are unbelievable Roman, absolutely unbelievable."

"I know, that's why I'm saying we do it one last time," he gives her a crooked grin.

"Why are you the way you are?" She crosses her arms and waits on him to move. "I think I'll be fine without one last fuck, but thank you."

"I see the way you look at Peter, still."

"Okay?"

"Well," he shrugs. "Just pretend I'm him?"

"How desperate are you?" He looks offended at her remark.

"I'm doing this for you."

"For me?" She laughs. "How considerate of you! And to think I might have died without having the Roman Godfrey inside me one last time! The humanity of it all!" She tries to push around him again. "Seriously, let me out before I scream for help."