Chapter 25 | Try to Wake Up |

Emma wonders about the dreams she had. She has the strangest sensation that they're not just dreams, but memories. It's not unusual to establish something in a dream and to wake to find it was not real, but it felt so so real. Every day the world seems less real, less reliable. The human mind is such a fragile thing.

.....

There's something so surreal about knowing something is about you without being named in it. Despite how immature it is, and how much she doesn't want to care, it stung. She hasn't used her social media since the beginning of the school year, so it's a genuine surprise when a girl they sit with at lunch asks her if she's seen what's going on. Handing her her phone, Emma quickly scans over the screen.

@ AlexRosewell51 : My love life is an actual atomic bomb

@ chocolateE-Clarie : @ AlexRosewell51 Me watching this unfold BC I warned you to not date sluts:

@ Resse_Daves42 A girl would rather suck 100 dicks than kiss alex lmfaoooo

It feels like all eyes in the cafeteria are on her. They're all judging her, staring at her, laughing at her. A wave of heat rolls over her body engulfing it with a dark red tone. Her stomach turns and aches. She hadn't really done anything wrong though, right? When did deciding not to go on another date make you a bad person? Wasn't that the point going on a date?

After she told him that she wasn't interested he asked her why. It's a strange thing trying to explain to someone why you are no longer interested in them when you yourself don't really know why. It seemed to come from thin air. She had apologized for wasting his time and he claimed to understand. It seems like it was everyone else who didn't.

The laughter probably wasn't even about her, most of this had blown over by the time Monday came around, but she feels hot all over. She needs to leave. Hands drenched in sweat and stomach tossing, she stands and walks as fast a physically possible to the bathroom.

Kim follows after her, Ally hot on her tail.

"Emma?" She feels at pat at her shoulder, but she ignores it and races to the bathroom. She makes it to the first stall before crashing to her knees and retching up what little breakfast she had gotten down that morning. "Em?" She hears footsteps find her. When her stomach seems empty she sits back, face wet and hair stuck to her forehead.

"Emma, this is like the 4th time this has happened," Kim asks, kneeling beside her. "What's going on?"

"I don't know, I'm just not feeling great," she uses the back of her hand to wipe the leftover spit from her mouth. Someone hands her a wet paper towel but she's not sure who.

"Is there... a possibility that you might maybe be pregnant?"Kim asks. Emma shakes her head quickly.

"No."