Chapter Twenty One

Começar do início

"Thank you." I take her free hand gently, squeezing it in gratitude, her small smile causes me to smile in return.

"You're welcome. If you are starting to feel the effects of the sun then by tomorrow morning i will need to give my father some more blood."

"Are you sure you will be alright doing that, its quite alot of blood to lose in one day."

"I can only try, i've got you to help make sure im okay. We need to get to your palace as soon as possible, we cant allow for any delays." The traffic is starting to ease as we speed along the roads, keeping to a better pace than i thought we would be. We briefly stop to get some food and for Serena to use the restroom, as the night falls she pulls into an empty parking lot, parking effortlessly before getting out, she stretches and her top rides up a little, my instinct get the better of me and my arms are snaked around her waist, my lips on her shoulder before shes even seen me move.

"Anothers day drive and we should be at the palace, as long as the traffic isnt bad." She turns in my arms, wrapping her arms around my neck, pulling her body flush against mine.

"I'll give my dad some blood then we will get on our way." Pressing a soft kiss to her lips before i release her and she heads to the back of the van, but as she opens the door she is knocked down by her father leaping out, quick as a flash ive grabbed him by the chains still restraining his body, before throwing him, a bit harder than i intended, as his body dents the divider.

"Blood." He screeches, eyes blood red. Serena jumps up, placing one step in the van before i grasp her arm, she turns her head to me.

"I'm not sure about this Serena." Her gaze softens as she looks at me.

"I will be okay. If my father is feeling what you did earlier its going to affect his mood." She explains softly, taming my beast slightly, but my body still vibrates with frustration that she has to go in there. Releasing her arm she climbs in, i have to turn away when she offers her arm to her father, the beast in me growls in sheer fustration, my nails dig into my palms as i force myself to stay calm. Having  sensitive hearing is a curse in this situation, i hear the moment her fathers fangs sink into her skin, the gasp of pain has my nails drawing blood from my palms, listening to her father feed from her has me pacing the back of the van, agitated. A soft small hand suddenly rests on my arm, i whir round, fangs bared, only to see its Serena, looking slightly pale but no worse for wear. Her palm rests gently on my cheek, the tang of her blood fills my senses again.

"I'm sorry." I whisper, ashamed at the lack of control i have over my emotions right now.

"You dont need to be. I understand." She leans in, our lips millimetres away before something suddenly lands heavily on the roof of the van, we leap away from the van, our eyes colliding with the glowing red eyes of a vampire. Instantly i am on high alert, my senses flaring out as i pick up lots of movement. I notice Serena scanning the area, her eyes flashing gold as i realise shes using her powers.

"Get ready."

"25, that i can find." She replies calmly, her voice changed, a bluish flame dances over her hands. All hell proceeds to break lose, waves upon waves of vampires peel away from the shadows, dropping from trees and rooftops, before we can say anything they attack, correographed like they have been waiting for us. We fight back on instinct, somehow avoiding each others movements as if we already knew what they were going to be, blue flames explode from her hands, ploughing through three vampires, blood runs down my hands from the enemies wounds, claw marks mar my own skin, stinging like mad. Suddenly the vampires stop their attack, i feel Serena freeze, my gaze follows hers and i see her father being restrained by 4 vampires. one holding a wicked looking knife to his throat.

"Surrender. Or i kill him." One of the vampires sneers, i grab her arm as she tries launching forward.

"Let him go!" She screams, fighting against my hold, the vampire cackles before slicing swiftly and surely, her fathers motionless body falls to the floor with a sickening crunch. Serena starts shaking in my arms, her skin heating intensly, burning my hands until i am force to let her go, her feet leave the floor, her hair whipping around in the sky as if gravity has disappeared, her eyes are completely gold and are glowing brighter than the sun, the air crackles around us, the vampires glance around uneasy, jumping into the van i slam the doors shut just as the air explodes with power. Screams fill the night, explosions, energy crackling, the metal roof starts warping in under the pressure, the metal turning orange with the heat. Then as the metal starts cooling again I take my chance and open the door slightly, Serena floats 15 feet in the air, power bursts from her in waves, but i notice her power is only reaching a certain radius, protecting even while she doesnt understand her powers. The smell of burning flesh makes my stomach turn, tears stream down her face even though her eyes dont really see whats happening, her powers have taken over. Stepping out the van i try to ignore the bodies littering the floor.

"Serena!" I yell, her head turns towards my voice, her eyes flickering, a bolt of energy is thrown my way, ducking and rolling i launch skywards, grabbing her ankle i pull her back down, we hit the ground hard, the breath knocked out of her lungs as she starts fighting back. Her fist collides with my cheek, hotter than an iron, i try to stop her attacks but she learns quickly, her legs launch me off of her as she rolls backwards, crouching as she launches again, using her momentum i twist her around, her body slamming into the crumpled van, she spins, a chunk of metal in her hand which slices across my chest, i am forced to jump back as she tries to punch me again. The Serena I know is lost behind the golden haze of her mage powers, leaping forward i slam her back into the van, doing the only thing i can think of, my lips press against hers, her hands burning into my skin but as our kiss deepens i feel her temperature slowly decreasing, leaning our foreheads together we breathe slowly, holding her to my chest i survey the area, patches of burned aspalt is the only indication of any attack, and the van is a write off, the tyres are melted, the metal of the van is seriously mishapen. But we are alive, except for her father, which i cant help but feel grief for.

"They killed him." Serena sobs, clutching my top tightly, i stroke her hair gently.

"I'm sorry. I truly am. But we need to get moving, i have a feeling this wont be the only attack that has been planned." She nods, lifting her head, her cheeks stained with tears, she reaches up to touch my cheek where the skin is tender. Her wide gaze scans the area, ash swirls around on the wind, her hands press to her lips in complete dismay.

"Did i do that?" She whispers horrified.

"You did, but it's fine, honestly. We need to run it from now, it will be easier to evade any planned attacks if we arent in a vehicle."

"Will you be able to run all that way with me?"

"I can only try." Scooping up her lithe weight, I feel her collapse against me, her energy spent, the wounds on my figure sting and warm as my body heals. Taking off into the night I run, my legs moving with ease, too fast for human eyes, Serena closes her eyes, her body going limp as sleep claims her, a gentle brush of my lips to her forehead has a soft smile curving on her lips even in sleep.