Episode 18.5 - Deadly Bake Off

"You're on, Y/N!" Ban shouted across the bar, waving his cup around.

"What you are is drunk, Ban!" Y/N yelled back. Ban vigorously shook his head.

"No I'm not! I'm ready to take you on right here and now." Ban said, walking over towards the table Y/N was sitting at. "Let's do it. A bake-off."

"Where did you even get this idea from, Ban?" Y/N asked, sliding her cup towards his eager hands.

"Well, the Captain is always talking about how good your food is, but I'm always the one who does all the cooking!" Ban said before chugging the alcohol.

"So you're lazy and want an excuse to do less chores when we're on missions?" Y/N asked. "I hate to tell you, but-"

"Be quiet. I'm tired of listening to you. We'll bake tomorrow." Ban said, matter-of-factly.

"NO!" Y/N shouted, but Ban had already turned around and called out to the captain.

"Hey Captain, will you judge a bake-off between me and Y/N?" He asked.

"Sure?" Meliodas replied. "When?"

"I never agreed to this!" Y/N protested as Ban replied, "Tomorrow morning."

"Where?" Meliodas asked.

"The first place that'll let us use their kitchen!" Ban said.

"So you're dragging me and some poor random local business into your half-baked plan?" Y/N asked Ban as he raised his hand for another beer.

He guffawed in response. "That's a funny pun, Y/N!"

"Take this seriously, Fox!" Y/N exclaimed, throwing her hands into the air. "If you want to have a bake-off you've gotta plan it!

Ban cheered triumphantly. "I knew you'd agree!"

Y/N sighed, rubbing her temples. "Fine, yes, I'll do your stupid bake-off." She told him. "But only if the loser has to eat Meliodas' food."

Ban nodded enthusiastically before running off to do whatever it is that he thought he needed to do. Y/N stood up and walked over to Meliodas, sliding into the seat next to him. "Why did you agree to judge? Couldn't you have just said 'no'?" She asked him, sliding into a seat across from him.

Meliodas laughed, saying, "Hey, I'm not about to refuse your food, Y/N."

Y/N stared at him. "You could've just asked." She said.

Meliodas' eyes widened and he asked, "Really? Anytime?"

Y/N scoffed and crossed her arms, leaning back in her chair. "Key word is 'could've'. I'm not doing you any favors now that you've agreed to to Ban's shenanigans." She told him.

"Aw, well." Meliodas said. "At least I'll get to eat something tasty tomorrow."

"How do you know I'll cook well tomorrow?" Y/N asked.

"Because you're amazing at cooking!" Meliodas exclaimed.

"A good cook knows how to mess up food, too." Y/N countered.

"Maybe, but you wouldn't purposefully mess up when eating my food is on the line." Meliodas said.

Y/N pursed her lips and stood up, silently admitting defeat. She walked out of the bar without another word. 

The next morning the three Sins met at the bar, who's had approached Meliodas the previous nights and told him that they could hold their bake off there since no one would be there at 10 in the morning. Y/N and Ban bustled around the kitchen, snapping at each other occasionally if the other grabbed something they needed. Meliodas watched as they prepared their tools and ingredients, Y/N doing so calmly and neatly while Ban did it haphazardly, barely making an attempt at organization. Neither men missed the quiet scoff Y/N made as she glanced at Ban out of the corner of her eye. 

"Are you both ready now?" Meliodas asked, getting more and more excited at the concept of eating his friends' delicious food. He honestly wasn't even sure how he'd be able to judge between their meals, but he'd get to that when the time came. 

Both Y/N and Ban nodded, and with a over exaggerated clap from Meliodas, they began to cook. Even though it wasn't a race, both tended to their ingredients quickly, used to only having a few minutes on missions to prepare rules. Lazy, relaxing cooking was not a luxury either of them knew. So, it was only a few minutes before enticing smells began to waft through the kitchen and Meliodas swore that he was the luckiest man on earth to have not just one, but two friends that could cook heavenly meals. 

Ban seasoned a chunk of meat and offhandedly shoved it in the oven. Y/N kneaded dough, occasionally turning to stir something behind her. Ban chopped potatoes before throwing them in a vat of oil. Y/N twisted the dough into little dumpling shapes. Meanwhile, Meliodas watched their actions with fascination, never having seen someone attempt such interesting meals. 

Soon both cooks were done. They walked over to him and presented their food. Y/N had arranged her dumplings neatly on a ceramic plate that had delicate flowers on it. Meliodas had no idea where she got the plate, but he appreciated the effort. Ban, on the other hand, had slapped his food on the plate without paying much attention where it would land. After a moment of thought, he gave Meliodas a fork for the potatoes. Y/N rolled her eyes. 

Meliodas tried Ban's first. The meat was perfect, as were the potatoes. He internally groaned. How would he choose between the meals? He was obligated too, but he was sure that they would both be so good.  Speaking of which, the dumplings were calling to him. He had never seen anything like them. 

"You eat them whole." Y/N helpfully provided. Meliodas nodded and plopped one onto his tongue. When he bit down, he expected some sort of paste on the inside but instead was met with a warm, savory liquid. A stew, to be specific. 

When he was done, he looked at Y/N and asked, "Was that..?"

Y/N nodded. It was the same recipe that she had made the first time they ate together. He smiled, remembering the adventures they'd had in those first weeks. Plus, the stew was still worth risking his life for, so he put another dumpling in his mouth. 

Both Ban and Y/N stared at him while he chewed on it. "What?" he asked, the question muffled through remnants of the delicious treat. 

"The winner?" Ban asked impatiently. "Who won?"

"Oh, Y/N." Meliodas said without a moment of hesitation. Y/N gave him a small smile, but Ban gave a groan of exasperation. "That stew is just as good as the first time you made it, Y/N." Meliodas told his companion. 

She was about to reply when Ban turned to her and shouted, "That's not fair! Using nostalgia factor is cheating!"

"I only knew him for a month before you did!" Y/N exclaimed. "Don't blame your lack of creativity on me!"

Ban and Y/N quickly delved into an argument, as was the norm. Meliodas just smiled fondly at them while eating the dumplings. Y/N had made a lot of them, and he intended to eat every last one. 

//inspired by winterdragon19\\