FORTY-ONE

The group inside of the car was beginning to speed back to the store they broke into just earlier, Johnathan swirving into a spot as everyone jumped out, Lucas grabbing hold of the trolley that was left outside meanwhile Nancy, Robin and y/n searched for baskets and matches, they took them and piles the fireworks into different baskets.

"Alright listen, when we get back to the mall each one of us will have a basket and matches, the task is to throw them at the Mind Flayer as he doesn't like heat," Lucas instructed them all, watching as they nodded, taking the basket and leaving the trolley outside of the store, everyone running back inside the car.

Not too long later, the group was at the mall, all running back inside, holding the baskets in their hands along with a match. Y/n stepped through the broken glass door and immediately felt a sharp pain shoot up her temple, she ran towards the glass balcony noticing the mind flayer standing still, looking down to see eleven being carried by Billy.

"Will!" Y/n whispered to him, he and Lucas looked up to her - waving her hands towards herself, the two boys jogged over meanwhile Robin and Steve moved to the left side of the second floor as Nancy and Johnathan moved to the right.

"What's going on?" Lucas questioned, y/n crouched behind a plant pot and pointed towards Billy and Eleven on the ground.

"What do we do?" Y/n asked him, watching as Lucas, dashed for the basket behind him, sliding open a match and struck it, the three stood up watching as he ignited the end of the firework, Will and y/n stood back, holding into their own fireworks.

They watched as Lucas launched the large firework towards the creature, it landing on it's back and exploding into separate specks of fire and colours splashing out, y/n watched as both Billy and the Mind Flayer look up to the  boy.

"Take this you ugly piece of shit!" Lucas screamed, y/n passing over another firework watching as the creature roared towards Lucas before he tossed it towards him the three watching as it bursted it inside of his jaw.

Steve set off his firework, Robin lighting hers up just behind him as the pair threw the explosives to the colossal creature screeching towards the teenagers.

"its working! its working!" y/n called out over the fireworks, pointing towards Billy who stood screaming along with the mind flayer.

eleven leaned against her elbows, looking up at the vibrant sparking around her which created loud noises, she took her chance into crawling away, able to move onto her front just before being dragged by Billy. she clawed at the floor, only to be whipped back onto her back and grabbed by her collar and repeatedly slammed against the floor, the group at the top floor continued to throw the fireworks 

"Shit!" y/n yelled, looking over the railing watching the scene, getting up onto her feet and barged past Lucas, only to get stopped by a tight grab against her wrist, forcing her to stop and look back to see Will and his panicked expression.

"What are you doing?" he questioned her, she only glanced towards Will then towards Eleven through the glass. "You promised not to show yourself!" he yelled over the explosions all around them.

"Im so sorry Will, ive got to go and help her," she told him to which, he furrowed his brows and shook his head.

"What?" he asked, a bang of two fireworks exploded just beside then, the pair crouching but gaining their balance again.

"The source Byers, if i can get Billy out of it, we're all saved," she told him but his stern expression didn't vanish. "we've had similar backgrounds Will, me and Billy, out of everybody here, i understand him the most and i know what its like to have my mom leave me for years and have an abusive father," she told him, a firework exploding again as she crouched down in fear.

their hands were connected, none wanted to drift apart due to the fear of acfually losing one an other. Will pulled her in tightly as she crept up, watching her fearful expresion, she most definitely did not want to talk to Billy, last time they had anything to do with Billy she gained a broken noise and cut lip.

"please be safe blue bird," he told her, pressing his lips against her cheek. she was shocked at the touch, lacing her finger tips where his lips just were before she hugged him tightly.

"you can count on it munchkin," she told him, pulling away watching the hope swim inside of his hazel eyes, she turned on her heel, sprinting towards the escalators.