Chapter 4

Previously:

They return after a couple of hours with a big deer, the moon beginning to rise. But when they entered the cave, they stop. Frank dropped his bow. Hazel dropped her sword. Selina dropped her spear. Beckondorf dropped the deer. All with mouths open in disbelief.

The boy was gone.

Now:

It was a full moon tonight and the boy could hear howling in the distance. The child, limping as fast as he could finally stopped and leaned against a boulder. The child feels guilty for leaving the Alphas, who have been so willing to take out the arrow for him. He wonders maybe he could see them and the hunters soon, in another life where he could fully appreciate their company. He also wonders where Blackjack was. Why did he leave him? Was he safe?

Thunder causes him to return to the present. He looks up at the night sky to see that the stars are covered with dark clouds. Rain starts to fall in buckets and in seconds the child is drenched. He begins to shake from the cold because of his ripped clothes. It thunders again, lightning cracks at a nearby tree causing it to alight in flames. Thunder. Crack, lightning smashes a rock even closer to him. Thunder. The 16 year old runs. Crack, lightning scorches the ground from where the boy was standing.

Lightning follows the limping boy for a few minutes before he spots an entrance. He sprints, ignoring the shooting pains in his foot. When he is metres away from the hole he hears another rumble of thunder. Crack, the child makes a desperate leap through the entrance before lightning hits the mountain, making boulders cover the hole and sending him into darkness.

The boy coughs and wheezes at the dust, trying to get some air into his lungs. He searches for the entrance but sees that it is covered with rocks. He gets to his feet and frantically throws small rocks away. He tries for hours before he finally gives up, seeing that he has made no progress. Seeing how hopeless it is, he sobs his eyes out and collapses to the floor. After a while he just sits there, he whispers to the cave making it echo.

"I'm sorry, mamma. I'm so sorry."

After that he falls asleep, trying to keep his memories and dark thoughts away. He gets wakened up by a growing light that is in his eyes. He looks around, trying to adjust to the dark and sees a faint light coming from around the corner. The boy stands up and runs his hand along the wall as he limps with his bare feet along the rocky ground. It takes longer than expected but once he turned the corner, he is met with a beautiful sight.

The passageway reveals a lake that is the size of three farm fields put together. Clear blue water seen by the only light source, a hole in the roof. Stepping stones lead to a tree of pink leaves and flowers that started to bloom. At the base of the trunk is a small trickle of a waterfall. It took the child's breath away.

He slowly limps towards the edge, entranced by its beauty. He carefully makes his way across the stepping stones, making sure not to disturb the peacefulness that this cave gives him. He kneels down and cups some water before drinking it. It is the most delicious taste of water the boy had ever had. At the kingdom, the guards wouldn't give the slave any water, and if they did it would be filled with grime and worms. The boy would pick out the worms before quickly drinking it, incase it would be taken away from him.

He looks around at the gems from underneath the water, his sea green eyes reflecting the surface in wonder, before he looks up from the base of the tree. The child sees a pretty pink flower that is more enchanting than the rest. Desperate to hold it he starts to climb. The 16 year old had many practice because the guards would make him get the apples or the bird eggs from the very top of the trees, even if he may break a leg, arm or neck if he fell. The boy shivers from the painful memories.