FOURTEEN: onto someplace new

"It's not up to me! A council runs this place now." Rick yells back at the man standing in the tank.

How in the world did these people get a tank? And what do they want with us?

The questions running through my head were out to a stop when the man yelled, "Is Hershel on the council?". He gestured his hand and a woman pulled Hershel out in front of the tank.

I hear Maggie and Beth gasp from next to me but that doesn't stop the man. "What about Michonne? Is she on the council too?" the man asks as a different man pulls Michonne out of a car and next to Hershel.

"I don't make decisions anymore!" Rick yells again.

"You're making the decisions today Rick" the man pauses, "Now come down here and let's have that talk."

Rick looks over at my dad and he nods. Rick then walks over to Carl and puts his hand on the boy's face, cupping his cheek. After glancing at all of us he opens the gate and walks down the field.

Rick makes it to the end of the field and starts to talk to the man with the eye patch but he's so far none of us can hear what he's saying. My dad then walks over to Sasha, Tyreese, and Bob and starts to whisper things I can't hear.

Just me, Maggie, Beth, and Carl are up against the fence. I strain my eyes to try to get a closer look at the group and I notice that each and every person down there has a gun or even two. There was no way we could fight these people and win.

"Who the hell is this guy?" I ask quietly.

Maggie and Beth are too focused on their father to ask so Carl turns his head and whispers, "It's the governor. We took his community down right before you came. Most of us thought he was dead."

My dad and his group rejoin us along the fence and we watch Rick talk with the Governor.

"We gotta do something" Carl says now with his gun leaning on the fence.

"Your dad got it" my dad replied also with his gun along the fence and his crossbow on his backs

"I could kill the Governor right now." Carl snarled.

I rolled my eyes, "Oh yeah? From 50 yards?"

Carl looked away from the Governor and at me, "I'm a good shot. I could end it right here."

My dad stops Carl, "Or you could start something. You gotta trust him."

I look behind me and Bob hands me a gun also.

Good thing I had target practice with my dad last week.

I line my gun up with the Governors head and rest it in the fence. Through the scope I watch the two men talk and I finally catch a glimpse of what Rick and The Governor are saying.

"We can all live in the prison or none of us can." Rick yells at the Governor.

This makes the Governor jump down from his position on the tank and walk behind one the cars. After a second he emerges from behind the car with Michonne's katana and places it against Hershel's neck. I can't hear anything else either of the men say anymore because Maggie and Beth start to cry but it seems like whatever Rick is saying is working. The Governor slowly starts to put the katana down and everyone falls silent.