22.

The hospital was a terrible place for someone with super senses.

The constant beeps, people walking in and out all the time, heartbeats of lots of people and yells from doctors made it hard to concentrate. But the smells were what got Amelia.

The strong smell of medicines, perfumes of dozens of people at the same time were driving her crazy. Since she trained her senses, she had never been with more than six people at the same time. She wasn't taught how to deal with this amount of... information.

They were in the waiting room, Ethan by Amelia's side. He was frowning, jaw clenched, and his hands were clenched into fists as if he wanted to punch something.

No one said anything to him, or Amelia or Taylor. Chief Campbell gave an understanding look towards the group when they came back, making Amelia think he already knew the bad news. It was unbearable to be in the same room as Henry's parents knowing what happened. Do they know the hunter was looking for me? That Henry got in this mess because of me?

Ethan touched her knee startling the omega, who was too lost in thoughts to notice she was bouncing her legs like a maniac. Ethan glanced worried at her and she sighed.

"The noises, and the smells. It is overwhelming." She explained his unspoken question.

"I am sorry, pup. I forgot you were not used to it." Amelia shook her head at his guilty expression.

"It's okay. I will go to the bathroom. I just need a minute." He nodded his head, still looking concerned, and the girl left the room.

The corridor was even worse. Amelia quickly followed the directions the receptionist gave her, lowering her head as Ethan said, even if she was sure no one there would recognize her.

Just when she arrived at the bathroom door she saw the front door of the hospital. Hesitating only for a second, she let go of the door handle and headed to the exit.

When the cool breeze touched her face while she walked away from the hospital she sighed in relief. This was what she needed. Being away from all the noises, and from Ethan's worried and guilty face.

It was not like she didn't appreciate his concern toward her. It was just that he had more urgent things to focus on, and them all being her fault. The only one who should feel guilty was her. She said to herself.

The streets were practically empty, it was almost midnight and people were sleeping. But the loneliness didn't bother Amelia. She wanted to be alone for once, and have time to understand what was going on, and what it all meant to the future.

She knew she didn't have too much time before Ethan went looking for her, but it didn't matter. She would stay near the hospital, this way it would be easier for them to find her. She just needed a moment to herself.

Images from the day when she was chased by the hunter came to her mind, bringing a shiver down her spine. And now the same man had invaded the house she was living in with her friends, and had shot one of them. All because she hadn't died when she was supposed to.

In the beginning, she thought she was not enough or deserving the amount of love and care the pack gave her. And she still thought something like that in the deep of her heart. But she never thought she would mean warm to any of them.

Being worthless was one thing. Being the reason why none of them was safe in their own house was another thing completely different. The first she could change, working twice as hard to prove herself, but the other...

She stopped walking, closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She was not getting anywhere near a conclusion. She didn't know how to help or what to do. And if she was feeling like that, what would Ethan be feeling? This was another thing to worry about.

The alpha took everything to himself. Amelia understood that it was his job to do so, but he had an amazing pack who could help him, and yet he blamed everything on himself, even if there was only one person to blame and it was not him.

Opening her eyes, Amelia looked around trying to situate herself. She needed to come back before Ethan went crazy thinking something happened with her. But when she saw the letters in front of her she froze.

'Human Race Preservation Community. Come join us. Meetings every Thursday and Saturday.'

Emotions hit the girl like a brick. The numbness she felt every day in the life she had there. How useless she felt every time her mother would use her to bring more followers. All the fights with her mother. But the shame for being a part of that was the strongest one.

It was something she would never be able to forget or erase from her history, no matter how much she wanted to.

Still lost in thought, she didn't notice when the light was turned on, but the sound of keys opening the lock was enough to make her jump back.

Her heart was beating fast, as was her mind, trying to send a command for her legs to move and run away at that second. But she was still frost in place, eyes wide staring at the door, afraid of what would happen if she was caught trying to run.

Amelia's trembling breath being the single sound on that cold night while the door opened agonizingly slow to reveal the face that was the protagonist in her nightmares. The one who Amelia had not overcome yet, and judging by how cold her body felt at the sight, she still had a long run to do so.

"Amelia?" Naomi cried.