16.

Amelia - now in human form - was holding her stomach, trying to catch her breath. Her laugh was gradually diminishing while Matthew glanced at her, amused by how she was literally in tears after laughing so much.

"Happiness looks good on you." He said quietly, a smile playing in his lips. Amelia dried her tears and looked at him.

"Thank you?" It sounded more like a question. She stared at him confused as they keep walking back to the house at a slow pace. Amelia knew he could keep running if he wanted, but she was exhausted.

After they spent some time at the river - in which she arrived first, and mocked him until he was so annoyed that he threw her on the water, jumping on it right after, leaving both of them soaked - Matt said they should start to run towards the house. This way, when she shifted back she wouldn't need to walk much. And he was right. After three hours she shifted back to her human form, and she was grateful they were near the house.

Matt gave her privacy to put on her clothes and then shifted himself. He said he wanted to keep her company.

"It's that when you arrived, you were always so hesitant about everything." He answered her unspoken question. "What is absolutely understandable given all we threw in your face since day one." He added quickly looking at her face to see any sign that she was offended. When he found none he continued. "But now you are happier, and I like to see you happy. We all do." His voice dropped lower at the end of the sentence.

"I hope you know that you are family to us. I can imagine how hard it is for you, but never doubt your importance in the pack." He said softly. Amelia was surprised to see him looking so vulnerable, and she was honored he felt comfortable enough with her to show her this side of him. "I swear to God, that house was never so clean and fun without you. Everyone wants to impress you so much, it is hilarious." And there was the boy Amelia knew. She laughed shaking her head.

They wanted to impress her. Her! The intruder who could offer nothing to them in return to everything they gave her every day. If it wasn't Matt who said it she would never believe in this absurd, but she knew Matthew never lied to please someone.

"I know I was a jerk that day when you woke up. But I want you to know it was never something against you. I was just trying to be a good beta." He looked genuinely ashamed of his behavior. Amelia smiled at him and shook her head. It didn't matter anymore. His head was down so she held his hand and gave it a light squeeze.

"It's fine. You couldn't know if I was a threat or not. You were just protecting your pack. You are an amazing beta for it." He gave her a thankful smile and returned the squeeze before letting go off her hand.

"Ethan sure didn't think like that. Jesus, he was beyond mad. I should never have gone against his word, not after he felt the pull." He was staring ahead with a distant look in his hazel eyes as if he was remembering whatever Ethan told him that day.

"The Pull? What this mean?" Amelia asked taking Matt out of his thoughts. He looked at her with wide eyes, surprised with her question.

"Oh, it's nothing. Don't worry about it." He claimed, looking at the ground and walking faster. But Amelia could see the blush in his face. He said something he shouldn't.

"No. It sure is something. What is it?" She hastened to accompany him. He growled frustratedly.

"Please, let it go. Ethan will kill me. We had express orders to not talk about it." Amelia felt bad to push him when he was clearly uncomfortable, but she sure as hell would not let the topic drop after he said they were forbidden to tell her whatever it was.

"No. It obviously has something to do with me so I deserve to know."

"I agree. But it is something Ethan should tell you. Not me, not anyone else." He stopped and looked in her eyes. "Trust me, it is something between you two. I won't tell you anything because if it was the other way around and Ethan told this to you I would be pissed." Amelia frowned, more confused and now worried. "No need to be afraid. It is nothing bad, it just takes some time to get used to. That's the only reason why Ethan hasn't told you yet. You already have so many things to get used to, he didn't want to give one more."

He stared at her with a serious expression for some seconds and started to walk again. The subject was over.

When they arrived at the border of the forest she said in a low voice. "I will ask him about it."

Matthew kept looking at the house. "I would suggest you do it when it is just the two of you. You know, wolves eavesdrop all the time, not that we are gossips or anything. We just can't help it. And it is a conversation you will want to be private."

Apparently, the serious conversation was too much for the young boy. He smiled and put his left arm over Amelia's shoulder. "I had fun today. It was good to spend some time with you, pup. For the record, you cheated on the bet, but I will make you a proposal." Amelia raised an eyebrow.

"I am listening." She was not happy to drop the previous talk, but she let him change the subject.

"I will cook the brownies. But you will help me and we will use your recipe." He stared at her, and Amelia rested her chin on her hand looking at the night sky as if in deep thought.

"I believe that your proposal has advantages for both of us, sir. So I will accept it. And because the recipe is mine, I will be the chef." She joked in a playful fancy tone making them both laugh.

After entering the house, Amelia found Ethan alone in the kitchen on her way to her bedroom, and she paused. Debating if she should just go and talk to him or follow Matt's advice to wait for when they were alone. Ethan noticed her presence and turned to face her.

"Hey. How was the run?" Amelia didn't smile at him like she usually would do. Ethan frowned.

"It was fun. I won the race. Matt will make brownies tomorrow." She said almost automatically. Her mind was still trying to figure out how to get to the subject.

"We both will cook them!" Matthew yelled from another room. Ethan chuckled.

"Well, I am glad you two had fun. First shifts suck. There is food for you in the fridge, you must be starving. After you eat, go rest. I bet you want to sleep for a whole day." He smiled gently at her, with a confused look in his eyes.

"Yeah. I am. Thank you. I think I will take a shower first. I smell like a wet dog." She gave him a poor excuse for a smile and left the kitchen before he asked anything else, only coming back when Ethan was already in his room. She decided they would talk about it tomorrow when they were alone. Matthew seemed sure she would want it that way, and she trusted him.

And for the second night in a row, sleep didn't come as easy as she thought it would. The possibilities of what The Pull was and why this was such a matter to her and Ethan clouded her mind. But eventually, the exhaustion took better on her and she went to a night of dreamless sleep.