He had it easy. He only had to train people, but Rogue was out looking for dragons to fight. Sting was well aware that Rogue was strong, hell in some ways he was stronger than him, yet Sting couldn't help but wish Natsu had chosen someone else to go on patrol with him.

Lyon had explained that the only choices Natsu had left were Gajeel and Rogue and given those choices Rogue was, of course, the best one for the job. Gajeel and Natsu fought too often to make a good team long term, but that still left Sting with a distinct pang in his heart at the thought that Rogue might get into a dangerous situation and he wouldn't be able to help. He'd have to rely on Natsu and Happy to have his mate's back, and that was as comforting as it was irksome.

At the thought of the young dragon, he felt the familiar guilt and shame at having attacked him. Back when it had happened, Igneel had given him a task he'd not been able to complete, although he'd tried.

Igneel had ordered Sting to care for the whelp until it could fend for itself, but even after searching for weeks he'd never once caught a whiff of its scent.

He wanted to make it up to Happy for his mistake, but the dragon still acted scared of him and he didn't know how to change that. Maybe he could ask Rogue for help once he woke up.

Until then, he'd go to their hot spring and relax before he had to head back into work.

0-0

Natsu entered the hot spring, surprised to find Sting already there. It made him a little nervous, but also pleased. It was rare for them to get time together these days, and he missed his friend.

Besides, he was in a great mood after waking up next to Gray for the second day in a row. They'd spent a lazy morning making out in the field before heading home to get ready for work. He could absolutely get used to that. He finally understood why Sting and Rogue were always in such a great mood in the mornings.

"Mind if I join you?" Natsu asked, and when Sting shook his head, he stripped and walked into the spring, sitting down on one of the natural steps and letting the scalding water work away at his aching muscles.

"Have a good time last night?" Sting teased as he stared at Natsu's neck openly and laughed.

"What?" Natsu glanced at him in confusion, running his fingers along his neck, which only made Sting laugh that much harder.

"It looks like a wild animal gnawed on you," Sting managed in between laughs.

It embarrassed Natsu to feel himself blushing, but he was too happy to care.

"Maybe ask Gray to show some restraint next time. Word will get out soon if you two are walking around town like that."

"How did you know it was Gray?"

"Besides the fact that I walked past the two of you sleeping on my way home, who else would it be?" Sting rolled his eyes at his friend.

"So are you guys mates now?" Sting asked eagerly.

Natsu shook his head and looked away, knowing Sting wouldn't understand his reasons.

"Why the hell not? For fuck's sake Natsu you've been eye-fucking the guy since he got here and if I'm being honest, he's not much better!"

"I've been doing no such thing," Natsu protested.

"You're a moron," Sting sighed, "How have you been able to fight the instinct for as long as you have? I was terrified I'd hurt Rogue if I didn't act on it soon. And he was the same. We wouldn't even have known what was happening if Weisslogia and Skiadrum hadn't explained it to us. They seemed surprised that it ended up being part of the enchantment."