my girlfriend//eight

/////Arielle/////

I walked into the café, the scent of coffee overwhelming me.

But what overwhelmed me more was the light emanating from Ed's smile.

I tucked a stand of hair behind my ear as he made his way over to me. My stomach was churning, my ears were drumming, and my pulse quickened. The feeling of fear almost consumed me, until I remembered the woman on the corner and the difference that Ed had just made in her life.

I smiled up at the redheaded man in front of me, all of my doubt disappearing. Suddenly, I couldn't remember why I had been apprehensive.

                    /////Ed/////

Her whipped cream left small white splotches on her lips and it contrasted gloriously with the pink of her lips and cheeks.

I was so very into her, and I barely knew her.

Keeping her eyes on the scratched surface of the table, Arielle smiled and glanced up at me before looking back down.

Resisting the urge to raise her pretty face to mine so as not to push her too soon (again), I cleared my throat.

"So, Arielle, how've you been?"

She looked up at me, a small smile playing at the edges of her mouth.

"I'm fine, Mr. Sheeran."

Oh.

I scratched the back of my neck, clearly she had wondered about me.

"So..."

I was at a loss for words. Arielle looked at me now, her large green eyes quietly questioning mine.

What did she see in them?

"Ed," she said quietly. "Who is Athina?"

I opened my mouth, about to give her an explanation, when she held up a hand.

"Ed, what I'm asking is who Athina is to you. I know who you are to her. But who is she to you?"

I opened my mouth and closed it. I could tell her that Athina was a cousin, or a friend...or nothing.

But I'd be lying.

Taking a shaky breath, I said:

"My girlfriend."