dinner date//five

/////Arielle/////

"W-what?" This man just learned my name and was already telling me that he loves me?

"I...um. What I meant was that you're a lovely person... Not that I wouldn't fall in love with you...wait, that's wrong, um..."

There it was again, that flutter of my heart every time he spoke. I have been in love enough to know what it feels like, and this felt like the start.

But I couldn't let that happen because...because...because I couldn't.

I lowered my eyes back to the delicious food in front of me. If I answered him back I wouldn't know what to say. What do you say when a stranger declares love for you??

"Arielle," he breathed. Cupping my chin in his hand, he forced my eyes to look at his. "Please, please don't be afraid of me. I can tell that you've been hurt, love, in ways that I want to fix. And I know that we don't know each other that well yet, but I was hoping that this would change that," he gestured towards the plates of half eaten food.

"B-but why....why do you...why do you care...care about...about me?" My voice trembled, something that I couldn't control. And before my mind could catch up with my mouth, I was talking to him.

"No ones ever cared, and the one time that someone did I drove them to suicide." I stood up, my eyes already filled with tears. "It was nice meeting you, Ed, but if you're smart you'll leave me alone like everyone else does."

His face was sad, and I knew that already I had hurt him.

Just like everyone else.

"Arielle, wait!" Ed was running behind me, but this time I would not turn back.