Chapter Thirty-Nine

John sobbed into Paul's chest as Paul stroked his back and tried to calm him down. "Shh," He whispered to John. "Everything will be alright."

      Paul didn't know what had caused John to act like this, but at this moment, he didn't care. It just felt good to be needed and to help John. It had been so long since he felt like this. And he was happy.

     John put his hand on Paul's shoulder, his crying slowing down a little bit. Paul continued to rub his back and kissed the top of his head, not caring who saw them. Even if they were out in public, they were in a bar. Everyone there was piss drunk except for the bartender who was too involved in a phone call.

    "Can we go upstairs?" John slowly lifted his head off of Paul's chest and looked him straight in the eyes. He wiped his nose and dried his eyes.

     "Sure." Paul replied. "To our room that we used to share?"

      John nodded his head yes.

     The two began to walk up the stairs, both taking their time. Halfway up, Paul tried to hold John's hand, but he quickly pulled it away. When Paul looked at him to see what was wrong, he looked at the ground, pretending as if nothing had ever happened.

     Paul quietly sighed to himself. They were back to square one.

    What's wrong with John? Paul thought. Sometimes he can be so cold, and then other times he acts like he was never mad with me. This was the second time it had happened. John was just crying into Paul's arms, letting Paul hug and kiss him, and now he wouldn't even let him hold his hand.

    And that's when Paul realized something. Ever since Stuart had died John had been acting like this. Paul got that John had just lost his best mate and he would be sad for awhile, but this was different.

    John wasn't just sad. He was depressed. The death of Stuart had changed him. So many things had happened in his life that made him sad. But along with Paul, Stuart was one of the people that could help John. So when Stuart died, John didn't have a person to go to when something bad happened. He didn't have a coping mechanism. When Stuart died, John finally broke. And he hadn't been the same ever since that day.

    Paul didn't know how, but he knew he needed to get John help. And no matter what happened he was going to get him help.

    They reached the top of the stairs when John finally spoke. "I need to tell you something." He said seriously.

    "Okay." Was all Paul said. He was still shocked by the realization he had just had. He couldn't believe he didn't realize it sooner.

     Okay?! Paul thought to himself. He could finally be breaking up with him. Or he could be getting back together with him.

     Probably not though. If he wouldn't even hold his hand. And if they were getting back together, why would John be crying?

     All throughout the rest of their walk, Paul was nervous. The seriousness in John's voice when he told him he had to tell Paul something made him even more nervous.

     They finally reached the door, and Paul opened it for John. At this point, Paul's heart was going a mile a minute. He looked over at John and saw a worried look on his face.

    Paul had hoped John was going to tell him something good, but it didn't look like it.

Again, super short. Next chapter is the last chapter. Thanks for reading. -Liz :)