Chapter Eighteen

No, thought John. He can't break up with me. He's my world. And I thought I was at least somewhat important to him.

     "Come in." John said while gesturing towards his room.

     Paul walked into the room and sat down on John's bed as John can over and sat right next to him trying to keep a straight face. It wasn't working.

     "So...What's wrong?" Asked John. He was more worried than he had ever been before. He was almost sure that Paul was going to break up with him. He wished that this was just a dream and that he was still asleep.

      John swallowed hard to try to keep himself from crying. He wondered what Paul was thinking. He wondered if he was happy to get the weight of hiding this illegal secret off his shoulders. He wondered if he was scared of what people would think about him if they found out about him, considering what Jim did. He wondered if he was sad to break up with John. He wondered why. Why would Paul want to break up with him?

      John waited for Paul to answer, but instead, Paul broke out crying. Full on sobbing. Yep, thought John. He's definitely breaking up with me.

      John grabbed Paul and pulled him into a hug anyways.

*

       As soon as Paul began to cry, John pulled him into a hug. Paul took one look at John's face before he hugged him. It didn't look shocked at all. Paul wondered why.

       "I...I'm scared John." Paul mumbled into John's shoulder as he put his arms around John and continued to sob.

       "Of what, Macca?" John said sadly. This is it, he thought.

       "Of my father." Paul answered truthfully. "That he's gonna hurt me and hate me forever."

       John internally sighed with relief. Paul wasn't going to break up with him. Thank god, he thought. "Well, I can't speak on how he feels about you," John said. "But I definitely will never let him hurt you."

       Paul shook his head up and down still crying, but calming down a little.

      "I'll always keep you safe." John said while still hugging Paul. "Would you like to stay here tonight?"

      "Yes." Paul whispered.

      John kissed Paul's head, then letting him go, still holding on to his hand. He rubbed circles on it with his thumb. "I'll never let him hurt you. I'll always protect you." John reassured Paul and pulled him back in for a kiss. "You're safe." He said again. "Don't worry about any little thing."

      Paul still sniffled a bit, but he was calm. He knew he could trust John. He really liked and trusted John. He was glad that things were back to the way they used to be. He would never let his dad have that much control over him again. So what if my dad hates me now?
Thought Paul. I have John who loves me. I've got great things going for me. I've got a job and a place to live. Everything is falling into place.

      "Ahem." Paul and John were interrupted by a figure standing in the doorway clearing his throat

Thanks for reading. -Liz :)