Chapter Fifteen

"Paul!" The door opened with a seventeen year old flinging himself at his brother, giving him a huge hug. "I missed you!"

     "Hello to you too, Mike." John mumbled as Mike led the two boys inside, going into the kitchen only to meet Jim McCartney.

     He was putting his casserole into the oven when he looked up and noticed John and Paul standing above him. "Hello Dad." Paul said.

     Jim stood up and walked over to Paul giving him a hug. "How have you been?"

     "Good." Paul replied while nodding his head over to John.

     "Hello John." Jim walked away, going back to the oven to set the timer.

     Paul smiled at John shrugging as if to say sorry. John shook his head hoping to change the topic.

     "So how's life as a rockstar?" Paul and John turned around to hear Mike
McCartney, Paul's brother with wide eyes, waiting for a response.

     "Well it's not as great as it seems—" John started to speak but was interrupted by Jim scoffing.

      John looked back behind him and glared at Jim. "But it's pretty cool and we're managing." He finished.

      "Dad," Paul said. "When's dinner going to be ready?"

      "About ten minutes."

     "Do you guys want to come upstairs and see my room?!" Mike continued to ramble on. "Dad let me redo it and it looks really cool."

     "Sure." Paul said as the three of them walked up the stairs.

     "He's like a three year old y'know." John whispered to Paul. "He gets so excited."

    Paul nudged John in the side. "Don't make fun of Mike!" He scolded. "Besides wouldn't you rather do this than wait for dinner with my dad?"

    "Yeah I guess." Was all John said before Mike led them into his room and began to talk about his new bed.

    However, all John could think about was how this dinner would go. He really liked Paul and he didn't want to mess anything up. Before it didn't matter, but now it mattered more than ever. He had to be on his best behavior. And that wasn't easy for John.

    John worried. He worried about how conversations would start and what he would say. What would Jim say? Would he just ignore John completely? Would he ask questions? Would he ask if they were in a relationship? If they were queer?

    No. Thought John. That's ridiculous. Him and Paul weren't in a relationship before and he never suspected or noticed anything when John came over. He couldn't tell that John was crazy for Paul then, so why now?

    "Boys!" A voice from downstairs called. "Time for dinner!"

    Here goes nothing, thought John.

*

     The dining room was painted red with a bunch of china hanging off of the walls. A little outdated, as Paul had always called it, but it was fine for eating.

     The dining table was a long rectangle with eight chairs pulled up against it. It took up most of the room. However, there were nice plates decorated with blue designs around the edges and silverware sitting upon it.

     Paul took his seat as he watched his father bring the casserole onto the table. How much can this table hold? Thought Paul now getting a bit nervous.

     John came in next, followed by Mike, both taking a seat right next to him. John waited patiently to get a piece of the casserole while Mike dug straight in.

     "This is great casserole." John said after taking his first bite. Where'd you get this recipe from?

     "It was my mother's." Jim replied, not very interested in the conversation.

     "Oh well, it's great." Said John again.

     "Yes I am aware. You already said that." Jim smirked.

     John said nothing. He just put his back against his chair and sighed quietly. It was going to be a long night

Thanks for reading. -Liz :)