Chapter 38

It's been four years since Light was killed. I was nineteen and Okami was twenty. We both lived with Near in London. Okami and I were both in college. He wanted to be a surgeon and I was studying to be a detective, just like L and Near. In my spare time, I worked in a coffee shop. I loved my life and didn't think it could get any better. Turns out, I was wrong.

Today was Valentine's Day, and I wanted to surprise Okami with cupcakes since he seems to love my baking. It was about 6:30 and he was on his way home. I was finishing up the frosting when I heard the front door open.

"Kat, I'm home!" Okami shouted. He walked into the kitchen and kissed me. "So, what are you making?"

"Oh nothing, just the surprise you ruined." I said sarcastically.

He laughed before eating one of the cupcakes. "Well, I have a surprise for you too." he said as he put a blindfold over my eyes.

Okami led me to his car and took me somewhere far from home. "Are we there yet?" I kept asking like a little kid. Okami chuckled. "Not just yet, sweetheart."

He parked somewhere and guided me onto a balcony. Once he took my blindfold off, I was shocked at how beautiful the view was. We were able to see the sun setting over a lake. It was the prettiest thing I'd ever seen.

Okami took my hands. "Katana, you are the most amazing girl I've met. I don't know what I would do if I lost you. I can't afford to lose you again, so I want you to be mine..."

With that he got on his knee and pulled out a small box. He opened it to reveal a beautiful ring. "Katana, will you marry me?"

I gasped in shock. Tears spilled out of my eyes as I tackled him into a hug. "Yes, yes, of course I will!"

Everyone around us started clapping and cheering. For the first time, I didn't think life was perfect.

I knew it was.