Chapter 8

Zero isn't my real father, and Ryuk and Rem aren't my real grandparents. I knew this, but I couldn't help but feel like they were. I felt accepted for the first time in years. But something was off. I couldn't afford to enjoy life, Zero still needs to succeed! I want to be the one to give him a death note, and I can't do that until I kill myself. I really should have done that back at Wammy's. I know I tried to, but I had opportunities when people wouldn't have caught me.

Today, it was Light's turn to watch me. Of course, Misa went with him. I swear, she annoyed the hell out of me. I just didn't understand how she was always so happy and cheerful. I sat in my room writing a letter to Near, Matt, and Mello. I missed them, but was definitely happier here. 

"Light," I heard Misa whisper. "She's got a shinigami."

I froze in fear of what she said. How did she know about Zero? Light already knew, but he said he never told Misa!

Zero kneeled down to my height. "She has the eyes." he said.

Of course, how could I be so stupid? Zero told me about the eye deal about a year ago. It made sense now. Even if I didn't have a death note, I still had a shinigami. Misa wouldn't be able to see my life span in that case, so that's how she knew.

Ryuk handed Zero a piece of paper. Zero handed it to Light and Light handed it to Misa. It became a little cycle of who owned that paper so that everyone could see Zero. I realized what was going on.

They had death notes. "Kira..." I mumbled. I started backing away from Light and Misa in fear that they'd kill me or treat me like Linda did.

I tried to run out of the room to tell L about this. Once he found out, the case would be solved. Light grabbed me before I could even get to the door. "If you tell anyone, I'll write your name down and make you suffer a horrible, gruesome, painful death..." he muttered.

I looked him dead in the eye. "Go ahead. Try to, at least before I kill myself first!"

Misa put a hand on his shoulder. "Leave her alone Light..."

"YOU STAY OUT OF THIS, MISA!" he yelled as he pushed her away.

L entered the room with the Task Force behind him. "What the hell is going on?!" he yelled. Light dropped me and looked at them. "I know it sounds farfetched, but I have reason to believe this child is Kira."

Matsuda's mouth dropped open in shock. "What do you mean?! She's just a kid!"

I backed away from them as anxiety took over me. I cried and started to panic. L was going to kill me for this!