Chapter Four

"OW! OH, BLOODY HELL! OH, FOR THE LOVE OF ENGLAND! FRICK!" I continue to yell and curse, acting more and more like a boy by the second.

Ever since Francine had un-friended me at her party a whole year ago, Life just seemed to have gotten the best of me.

I keep hurting myself, usually unintentionally, and it sucks!

"What did I do to deserve this?" I ask no one in particular. "Like, seriously? Come on!"

Yeah, being the world's favorite torture toy is not the best thing ever.

I grab my backpack, preparing for the last day of sophomore year.

Ugh, I can't wait until I'm a senior.

I'll finally be able to go to University, get into a Study Abroad Program, and go wherever the bloody hell I want!

That will teach my mother a thing or two about what I'm going through as well.

As I'm making sure I'm ready for school, my mind wanders back to Francine.

I'm beginning to think that a whole year wasn't enough to make me relax about it, and it appears that I'm right.

Francine and I were close as kids, so it makes sense that our argument would still bother me a whole year after we had it.

I get too lost in my thoughts that I didn't see a chair sticking out from under the table, and I-

"FFFRRRIIICCCKKK!"

I jump in place, trying not to scream anymore than I already was earlier this morning.

Of course I stub my foot on a chair!

Why else would I be useful in this world except to merely be its entertainment?

"Alice, that wasn't very ladylike," Mum scolds me.

"Well, gee, I'm sorry that I stubbed my foot on the chair," I sass, sitting in a different chair at the table so that my stroke of bad luck doesn't continue into the summer I have ahead of me.

"I don't like that attitude, young lady," Mum sasses back as she continues to make breakfast. "You better not act like this at school today. Wouldn't want to end your sophomore year on a bad note, would you?"

I stay silent, knowing that it isn't worth a fight.

Two more years, I tell myself. Two more years, and then I will finally be free.

I finish getting ready for school, eating breakfast and beginning my five minute walk to the school.

~~~~~~

Francine's P.O.V.

"Yo, Francine!" Isabelle says, waving her hand in front of my face. "You're spacing. What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I smirk. "I'm just thinking."

"About?" Maria wonders, looking interested.

I frown, realizing that they didn't know what had happened.

"I...lost a friend last year," I explain. "A good friend. She and I were really close, but I guess not every friendship lasts, right?"

"School and living in different countries will get to you," Isabelle comforts me with a sad smile. "Besides, you have us, now, and our friendship is one that's bonded by spirit. No one can break that!"

I laugh as she pulls me into a side-hug, a big smile on my face.

"Yeah, I guess you're right," I agree.