Chapter Twenty-Three

My mother immediately drops the dinner plate she was drying off, as well as the towel itself, the porcelain breaking the silence with an unearthly shatter. Then she stares at me for a few seconds before she backs away from me, a look of disdain on her face.

"Is this some kind of joke?" she demands of me. "Who are you?"

"I think you already know who I am," I reply softly, trying not to let the situation escalate even more. "After I left for university, I went through some...changes."

"And I suppose the next thing that you're going to say is that the boy out there with your father is Francine?" my mother huffs sarcastically, crossing her arms as well.

When I don't answer her, her posture stiffens to one similar of a tree.

"No...."

"Yes, mum."

"Both of you?"

"Yes, mum."

My mother sighs, and she slowly sits down at the table to process everything. I swear, sometimes she can be even more dramatic than me!

She doesn't say anything for a long time, and at some points I can see tears form inside her eyes. Whether they're in mourning for the old me or acceptance for the new me I'll never know, I guess.

"So this is really you, now?" she finally asks, and I feel like I can breathe again. "I can't make you change your mind about it?"

"No, I'm afraid not." I smile softly. "I feel really happy now that I'm my real self now."

"Well, good for you, I guess," my mother replies flatly. "I want you and...Francis gone by the time I count to ten, then."

All of a sudden, it feels like I can't breathe anymore.

"Wh-WHAT?"

"I made my opinion on this very clear, remember?" my mother answers firmly.

"I-I know, but-"

"But what?" my mother snaps. "You thought that my opinion would immediately change if I saw you?"

"Yes, actually...." I whisper, hanging my head in shame as well.

"Then you were wrong!" my mother tells me.

"Can't you give me a chance, at least?" I try to persuade her, but my mother shakes her head in refusal.

"No!" she denies. "I can't!"

"But you must!"

"If God wanted you to be a man, He would have made you one!"

"Now, hold on! You're not being fair!"

"I don't care!"

"I'm your child!"

"Not anymore!"

Those last two words crush me completely, and I feel faint.

"Mother...."

"Don't call me that!" she hisses, looking away from me as well. "I'm not your mother, either! Not anymore!"

I feel my lower lip quiver, hot tears stinging the corners of my eyes as well.

"Fine," I answer hoarsely. "If that's how you really feel, fine!"

I begin to walk away from her, but then I pause.

"You know, ever since I left home," I add, "I've been the happiest I've ever been. So I'm not going to let someone like you ruin that."