Chapter 33 - The Next Step

Bold Font - Time/Location

Italic Font - Thoughts

The Grimm started to bring its flaming appendage down onto Jaune who nearly pissed his pants at the sight. Ren saved him by throwing his weapon like a boomerang at the Grimm which hit the top of its head, creating a large cut across its forehead. The Grimm toppled over as a result. Ren's weapon came back to him and the whole team stood in front of the Grimm. Now was the time to come up with the strategy. Jaune snapped his fingers and started to think.

Jaune: "Okay, how do we do this?"

Ren: "His body is too thick to break through."

Jaune: "It doesn't care about its body."

Nora: "Plus it can keep adding new limbs!"

Jaune: "But it's protecting its face..."

Pyrrha: "What are you saying Jaune?"

Ruby: "We can't break it!"

Jaune: "Egh...if we knocked all of its limbs off at once and went for the..."

Before Jaune could finish his sentence, his face lit up like a light bulb in realization. He jumped and turned around to face the team with his arms out.

Jaune: "Guys, I got it! We hit it! Harder!"

If it were another time and place, that would be funny. However, Ren simply looked unimpressed and tried to make sure his leader was...sane.

Ren: "Is...that it?"

Jaune: "No seriously! It's trying to keep us from its face! If we kill the limbs, we have a shot to kill the whole thing!"

Ruby: "Alright! Come on team! Let's do this!"

Pyrrha: "Okay!"

Nora: "Yeeeaahh!"

Ren: "Right!"

Jaune began to give orders for their deployment pattern. Each team member jumped to their positions as Jaune gave them.

Jaune: "Ren, left! Ruby, right! Pyrrha, in the trees! Nora! Ready to try out the new upgrade?"

Nora grinned and nodded in confirmation before running at the Grimm. Jaune just had to give himself something to do.

Jaune: "Right, then I will-AH!"

He was cut off by the Grimm slamming its remaining stone arm down behind him. Ruby was using her semblance to dart through the trees to get to the giant monster. Once she reached it, she yelled in rage and began to slice at the stone Grimm. Ren was also jumping from tree to tree using his SMG's to attack the beast from behind. It had no effect and the Grimm slammed the tree at Ruby, sending her back. Pyrrha was shooting at the head of the Grimm, but missed because the Grimm moved so frequently. Nora took this chance to ready her upgrade and began to charge her hammer. She flipped a switch on the pole of the hammer and the head began to vibrate with a pink energy. All she needed now was a distraction. Jaune decided that's what he was going to do, and ran underneath the front of the Grimm while yelling at it.

Jaune: "Uh, hey! Over here!"

His strategy worked and the Grimm's single eye darted down at him. It raised the flaming tree up in the air and slammed it back down at Jaune who narrowly avoided it by rolling underneath it. It was now Ren's turn, so he jumped onto the Grimm's left shoulder and started unleashing a barrage of fire at the head. After seeing it had done no damage, he jumped off and barely managed to avoid the flaming dead plant that was annoying everyone ever so slightly. Ruby recovered from being slammed with said plant and used her semblance to catch up in the fight. She stopped in front of the behemoth and shot several bullets at it from Crescent Rose before having to use her semblance again to dodge the stone arm that was about to punch her. She darted up into the air and grinned while her signature rose petals disappeared behind her. Then she pulled the trigger a few times to descend her toward the Grimm at rapid speed. She sliced the stone body of the massive creature before dodging yet another attack. Nora finally finished charging her weapon and dug her feet into the ground while smiling.

Nora: "Ready!"

Ruby broke off from her attack before using Crescent Rose to push her away from the Grimm. She landed on the ground next to Jaune and looked at him to confirm she was ready.

Jaune: "Use everything you've got!"

Ruby used her semblance to dash at Nora and picked her up, creating an extremely fast and dangerous spiral of red and pink that charged at the Grimm. They were too fast for the Grimm which tried to stop them with the burning log, and the Grimm was blown to pieces. The stone head of the now destroyed body landed on the ground with the head of the Grimm still attached. Seeing it was defeated, it left the corpse and was revealed to be a ghost-like Grimm.

Pyrrha: "I've seen that Grimm before, it's a Geist!"

As it started to fly back into the forest, Ruby looked at Nora who nodded to Ruby, signaling that the kill was hers. Ruby took to the scope of her sniper and fired at the Geist, which turned around just in time to see the bullet about to pierce its head. And pierce its head it did. After a brief moment of silence, Jaune jogged over to the rest of team JNPR and Ruby. He placed his hands on his hips in victory and sighed in relief.

Jaune: "Another victory for team JNRR."

After another brief moment, Jaune looked to the ground realizing how stupid that acronym was.

Jaune: "Alright, y'know okay... Ren, I think you're on to something... It-it...it's just not sounding great anymore."