Recognition

"This is exactly the reason why I didn't want to become famous..." Saitama grumbled when his shopping was neglected as the lady at the counter ogled him. 

"OMG! Aren't you that guy who defeated that monster with one punch!?" She squealed, asking for a selfie with him. A picture that she took even when her permission was denied. Much to Saitama's irritation. 

"Lady, would you mind just scanning my shopping? Dinner's not going to cook itself you know!" He said in an angered rush. 

"You cook your dinner yourself!? Wow! I love a man who can cook!" Slamming his hands onto the counter and cracking it slightly, Saitama placed the money necessary for the goods, and left. 

He ignored the barriers that beeped as he walked through, and went home. 

On his way there, seven people faked an injury, ten people stopped him to give him letters, another twenty tried to follow him home, and at least fifty asked him for pictures. 

Heaving a massive sigh, Yuusuke leapt high into the air, leaving a small crater on the ground.

His stalkers waited for him to fall back down, and many other fans took photos of the fissures to post on their stories. 

Saitama landed next to his broken apartment, and walked in. 

"Welcome back Sensei! How was your shopping?" Genos asked innocently. 

"Annoying." Was his one word reply. 

Genos chose not to say anything, and put the shopping away into the fridge and on the shelves. He brought out a can of beer, and placed it next to Saitama, who was flicking through the channels on the TV. 

"Aren't you glad that your finally getting recognition for the work you do?"

"No. Not really. Do you think I would be happy with people stalking me, false fainting before me, fangirling over me, or even try to take pictures of me!? Sure, when I didn't have the attention, I was slightly vexed, but attention is something one does not favour when it is in their possession, unless they're absolute pricks with a ten inch pole up their asses like him." Saitama hissed, pointing at Suzuki Tarou who was on one of the channels. 

"My scans are picking up on stress, Sensei. What do you find stress relieving?" The teen cyborg asked his teacher. 

"Stress? Really!? StReSs!? NeVeR wOuLd'Ve GuEsSeD!" Saitama replied snidely. 

Unfazed by his teacher's rudeness, Genos suggested they go defeat some monsters. 

So the master and the disciple went outside, and in their wake, left a trail of dead and defeated monsters. 

Most of them only had a single hole in their bodies, or even a simple decapitated head, whilst a few would have burn marks, done by the hands of a certain Cyborg. 

The CCTV operated by the hero association captured every single defeat of every single creature, it's every single moment down to its very last breath. A very short breath. Must say. 

After an hour of this and after the death of hundreds, Saitama and Genos headed home. A smile on Saitama's face once more. 

The next morning, Saitama had been raised from Class B rank 7 to Class A rank 39. 

"This isn't making any sense... Why so quickly? Sure, I've been defeating some monsters and it became public real quick, but still..." Saitama asked as he watched NHK that morning. 

"What do you mean sensei? You've become really famous, aren't you be happy that your rank has become higher?" 

"Genos. You don't understand. The ranking system in the Hero association is different from what everybody thinks it is. Just being strong doesn't make your rank higher."

Genos began to take notes. 

"When the hero association was just made, there were only three ranks. A, B, and C. What ranked the heroes was their efficiency in defeating monsters, their strength, their attitude to helping civilians, and their popularity. Just being an ace in one of these categories wouldn't help you go up classes. You had to be doing well in all four categories. That's why I, who wasn't popular, and didn't help civilians didn't get higher in rank that easily, and people like Mumen Rider, who isn't athletically inclined, but are doing well in other three categories, are at the top of Class C. Understand?"

"Yes sensei."

"But, soon after the hero association realised that even the top of Class A couldn't deal with threat level Demon monsters, unless they were in large groups. Though there were certain individuals who could defeat them single handedly. Such as Kinzoku Bat. He's currently S-class rank 15, but he used to be a C-class rank 223. Or Bang, who used to be B-class rank 77. These were the heroes who did nothing to raise their ranks, and would defeat a demon level monster out of the blue. The association decided that these heroes were a necessary asset to them, and asked them to be an S-rank hero. A hero class that didn't require a constant defeat of monsters, as long as they came at emergencies."

"So that's why I don't need to do as much work as you do." Genos wrote that down as well. 

"Now, this may sound slightly insulting, but all heroes are not advised to be an S-rank hero. We're all told to aim to become an A-class top ranker. Because it is common knowledge in this hero's world, that S-rankers are mad. Mad scientists, mad eaters. Mad body builders, and mad psychics. All of you lot are mad. That's what makes you strong. What makes you so efficient with your work. What makes you an S-ranker." 

"But you... You're stronger than all of us. What does that make of you?" Genos asked, shutting his eyes as if waiting for punishment for asking such a demanding question. 

"True, maybe that makes me insane!" Saitama laughed, and Genos relaxed. "Anyway, so for them to suddenly raise me from B to A is wrong. Someone must've said something. Or else it would be practically inconceivable for me to jump so many ranks... Or am I overthinking matters?" Saitama muttered so low, that Genos had to rely on his artificially enhanced hearing.

Saitama's mumbles were brought to an end when they heard a knock on the door. 

Genos got up, and found a mailman with a bag so large, it looked like the mail service to Santa Clause a week before Christmas. 

"A delivery to a Mr Saitama from his fans. Can you please sign here." The post man asked his well rehearsed question. A question you could tell that he didn't find pleasure in asking. A question so boring, that you'd wonder why they don't try jazzing it up. So stupid a question, that- okay, I'll stop...

Anyway, he asked the stupid bloody question, and Genos answered by signing the bloody paper. 

The postman didn't even bother taking back the bag the letters were in. 

So there it was, a giant bag around the size of London taxi, just sitting there. At the entrance of Saitama's home. 

Saitama sighed. 

When he signed up to be a hero, this wasn't one of the boxes he had to tick off, such as these questions. 

-Would you like your rank to be enclosed? ☑️
-Would you mind your private information being sold out?❎

This question should've been included!!!

(-Would you want fans to send letters to your address directly? 
If not, please specify where to send the letters.

See!? That's how it should've been!! Saitama growled.

Saitama wanted to argue about the letters more in his internal monologue, but after seeing a letter written with crayons, and a small bulge showed to be candy, he gave up, and decided to use his Harvard graduating brain to go through the hundred thousand letters.