Brave Front

The weekend use to be my only time to escape the world. But they just became another time i had to stay alone by myself. I don't think anyone in my family enjoyed the weekend anymore, because during the week we could all stay buried in our rooms working away on project and my parents could hide away and focus on work. Not on the weekend we cant, we are forced to have to run into one another in the hallways and see each other at dinner. We all stay quiet and mind our own business, a short talk here and there but we rarely just sit down together to talk. We weren't always like this. The weekend use to be a time when we all would get together and play games, watch moves and talk about the week we just had. But that was before, before that night that no one is ever willing to speak of in our house.

   My family now consisted of me, my brother Alex, my mom Amy and my dad William.  I think after what had happened back in California had changed us all too much. We use to act like total strangers, but as the years went by we started talking but we still don't act or feel like a whole family. Home doesn't feel like home and that's not just how I see it.

    I walked into class one Monday after a silent drive to school with my mom and Alex, and before I could sit down I heard the familiar giggling behind me. I took my seat quickly so I didn't have to hear what they were saying. But I already knew. "Hey four eyes. Hows it going?" Lindsey said to me from across the classroom and all her friends started to laugh obnoxiously. They did that a lot, making fun of my appearance was one of Lindsey favorite things to do. You see I didn't look like they did. They all had their perfectly straight bleach blond hair and light blue eyes, but not me. I had a sea of red hair that hung low from my face till a little above my waist, it was not straight or curly but stuck somewhere in between. my eyes on the other hand were the one feature that I liked about myself, they were hazel with specks of black in them I also wore tin black glasses. People in California use to say me and my sister looked exactly the same. But no one here would know that.

   But as much as Lindsey and her friends made fun of me and made me feel insecure and depressed I would never let them see that what they were doing bothered me that much. Even with everything going on at home and what had happened in the past I knew that I couldn't show anyone that I was breaking, because if I did then they would win. 

I had to keep a brave front.