|Chapter 1|

Chapter 1. Roots

• • •

Trees wither in the desert, at least the ones that struggle to adapt...

Proof of that is all around me. Gnarled remains of stunted things that had once dared to try and grow stare back at me, and I wonder to myself...

How much longer until I give up?

A fallen high-rise building stands tall over me as I lean against its grounded floor level. The heat of it radiates through my button-down shirt into the curve of my back. With a large sigh, I drop my head down to my chest and stare off at the pebbled walkway my worn boots dig into.

Stooping, I pluck up an oddly shaped rock and feel its weight in my hand. I can't help but notice it's so easily displaced.

Like me...

I've never really considered myself a homebody; I've skipped from place to place for as long as I could remember. Uprooting myself and trying my best to root again. My mother would always say, "You can't uproot a tree and expect the leaves not to fall off." That's how I've considered my life, like a tree being dug up and planted over and over.

I can never get myself to root long enough for my leaves to grow back.

Sighing once more I toss the stone away before hearing a grunt.

"Ouch!" Lilly's voice breaks me away from my thoughts.

She stands at the mouth of the alley, her silhouette outlined by the setting sun behind her. It barely stretches over the crumbled buildings of Phoenix Arizona, but it casts shadows onto the streets below.

A gust of wind whisks the desert sand through the abandoned allies, sweeping a thin strand of hair from Lilly's chubby cheek.

"I know I'm interrupting your personal time, but you don't have to throw things." She says sarcastically, rubbing her arm.

I offer an apologetic smile and chuckle away the discomfort. "Sorry."

Lilly's damning gaze bores into my cheek as I can sense she knows I'm avoiding her eye.

"Why is your energy off?" She waves her hand at me in accusation and folds one arm over the other, shifting her weight onto one side. Connecting with her gaze once more I recognize the squinted stare she gives when trying to read one's emotions...

I stand still for a moment and rub the palms of my hands on the jagged brick I'm pressed against bracing myself for her quick accusations. The inevitable tingle that comes from her ability starts in my cheeks and then slowly works its way down my neck. There's no fighting it, in one quick moment she knows exactly how I feel and can match it in the same fell swoop....

"I get it..." She snaps at me and steps into the shadows cascading over the passage, it grows a dark hue on her blond head.

I sigh. "I know what you're going to say," Offering a placating gesture. "We've only been here for a few weeks" I look at her with sorry eyes, knowing the reaction she will give since it's one she's given time and time over.

"But we're being trailed again, Tom's already found a new city.

"I'm sorry, I know how much you like the art store here." I tuck the stray strand of hair behind her ear as I try and empathize with her.

"Okay." Her head dips down a little, dropping my gaze as she takes a step backward avoiding my motherly hand.

"I figured it was going to happen sooner or later. The population is growing slim." The air falls silent at the weight behind those simple words. Over the years we have seen the sliming of city size from the kidnappings, and from those that have moved to more sustainable territories.