Avery unlocked her phone hastily and went to her conversation with Alex.

Alex: Did you get home safe?

 It was just a question but somehow it meant the world to Avery and she felt her face break out into a wide grin. She had read all sorts of books, including cheesy romance novels, but she had always assumed that the authors were exaggerating in the ways they described falling for someone. She was starting to learn that that wasn't the case. 

A: I did. My maman was a bit upset at first but she's good now. How about you?

Alex: I'm still on the road... at Jason's house.

Alex: What did you say to her? Does she hate me even more now?

  Avery knew that Alex was referring to Mrs Toussaint's attitude towards her when they had first met. It was understandable why the brunette would think that her mother hated her, but she was always overprotective and never had been good at first impressions. 

A: Oh hush, she doesn't hate you. I told her I had an anxiety attack and had to leave and you followed me to help calm me down. She seemed happy with that.

A: Also she says you have nice hair.

Alex: Oh, lying to the 'rents now are we?

  The freckled girl could somehow feel Alex's smirk through the phone, but she didn't know how to respond. She knew the brunette was only teasing but she couldn't help the guilt that nipped at her once more. 

A: It was a one-time thing.

Alex: Okay.

 Avery's hands fell from their previous position where they once held her phone up as she typed. She let them flop down beside her with a sigh and her phone slide out from her fingertips. Milo yipped at his owner as if he could sense the shift in her mood. With light steps, he came off of her chest and walked over to her head, sliding his tongue up her cheek in an affectionate kiss. 

"Hey, Milo," Avery giggled before flipping over to her stomach, scratching the puppy behind his ears. She spent a while playing with the pup and rubbing his belly before she figured it was time for her to go take a bath. Grabbing her essentials, including a bath bomb, from her drawers she headed over to her bathroom. 

  She didn't have an ensuite, though she had begged for it multiple times, yet she was lucky enough to have a bathroom that was situated right next to her bedroom. Plus, being an only child meant she had it all to herself. 

 Avery placed all her things on the flat area by her bathtub and turned on the water. She let it run, occasionally testing to see if it was warm enough. When she was satisfied with the water level, she dropped in her bath bomb and afterwards slowly lowered herself into the inviting water which was now a mint green colour. The only thing she was missing now was music. 

  She reached over and opened her phone, turning on a custom-made Spotify playlist and allowed the smooth music to fill the room. Avery's music taste had always leaned toward more soft and relaxing music, sometimes acoustic and sometimes with low beats. After she had scrubbed herself with a loofah, she closed her eyes and sunk deeper into the warm water, letting it wet the hair that was now down to her shoulders. 

 Avery was almost asleep when she heard her mother's voice call her from downstairs. Startled by the sudden noise, she sat up quickly and knocked some of her bath gels into the tub in the process. 

 "Avery, quelqu'une est là pour te voir!" Mrs Toussaint yelled from downstairs. {Someone is here to see you}

 Avery groaned long and loud as she dipped her head under the water, wanting to get back to the state of peace she was in only seconds ago. Who would come to visit her at her house?