1 0

Chapter 10: Un Pas Après L'autre

    Avery and Carson sat curled up by her reading nook, each holding a mug of hot chocolate. It was now early December and the first snow was due to fall. The temperature outside had gotten really cold at what seemed to be lightning speed. Avery was deep in thought as she looked out the window. The beautiful multi-coloured leaves were now gone leaving patches of almost grey looking grass and stark naked tree branches. The period before the snow was always the ugliest. When the sky was grey, everything looked apocalyptic and Avery half-expected to see a horde of zombies on the horizon.

   Avery was snapped out of her head when Carson picked up the can of whipped cream from the floor. "Refill?" he offered. She nodded her head and reached out her mug to him, her whipped cream from before already melted.

   Carson topped her up before himself, making spirals with the fluffy substance until it reached the brim of her cup.

   "I-," they both started at the same time. Carson chuckled and shook his head while Avery gave a sheepish smile.

   "I have something I want to tell you, " Carson spoke up after they spent a moment staring at each other, both waiting for the other to start.

    "Me too," Avery chimed in. "But, you go first."

Carson adjusted himself under the throw that covered both their legs. They were facing each other, one on either side of the reading nook and their knees were touching. The nook was only made for one person and Carson was tall, but the extra body heat was greatly appreciated.

   "I think I like Marigold," Carson blurted out to his best friend. His cheeks and the tips of his ears were pink and Avery knew it wasn't just from the temperature. "I know you don't trust her and I don't expect you to trust her that easily, given my history with girls. But, I just wanted to let you know. She seems like a really genuine and amazing girl and I think she likes me too."

   Avery frowned. It was no secret that she was still unsure of how she felt about Marigold, even the redhead herself knew. At first, she had taken offence but once Carson explained why she became more understanding.

   Carson looked down at his hot chocolate, anxiously waiting for his best friend to say something. Her opinion meant the world to him and Avery knew that. Avery couldn't find anything wrong with Marigold and oh did she try. But as Carson said, she seemed really genuine and down to Earth. If it wasn't for her protectiveness, Avery figured she and Marigold would have been able to get on by then.

    Avery couldn't deny the chemistry between the two when she saw them together. Plus, they had so much in common and Marigold didn't seem to be interested in popularity. Avery could honestly say that she didn't seem like that type of girl.

  "Okay," Avery smiled at Carson, causing his head to rise back up as he looked at her with wide eyes. Looking at the expression on his face, she was reminded that she would never want to get in the way of his happiness.

  His face broke into a grin, "Really?" Avery nodded.

    "She's a nice girl and you two have chemistry. Plus, you'd make a super cute couple. I just want to see you happy, Carson. And love, well, it's a risk," Avery said honestly, reaching her free hand over to hold his.

   "Thank you. What was it that you wanted to say?"

  Carson's question made her remember what she wanted to tell him and anxiety settled in her chest and stomach. It felt like her chest had caved in and her throat had closed up. Avery gripped Carson's hand, trying to calm herself down.