14 - Riverside

Although she was a princess, Qing Lian had never been pampered by anyone beside her big brother, Qing Rui. Qing Youya loves her, but wasn't especially doting, he was just caring and gentle, perfectly resembling their concubine mother. However these days, even Qing Rui has less and less time for her. Previously, his time was occupied by studies, court, and jobs, however it gradually changes. Besides his responsibility, Qing Rui now spends most of his time pampering and frolicking with his little lover. Qing Lian wasn't amused by that, but she couldn't say anything, nor did she has any right to.

"Her highness, her highness" Yamato called Qing Lian with a voice filled by joy and pampering, his warm breaths blew softly to her rosy cheek, "I will cook you your lunch personally, guess what it'll be?"

Qing Lian flustered, but didn't dare trouble Ren Xiu, thus she sat still like a dead rabbit in rigor mortis, even the voice she mustered sounds flat and emotionless, "..what?"

"It's a special grilled fish! I've checked the map, and we'll soon reach a river, we shall take a rest there and catch fresh fish for you!"

Qing Lian got even more embarrassed, she bit her lip and bowed her head, lamenting her overwhelming emotions which will soon reach it's limit.

Realizing the princess's rigid body, Yamato heaved a soft sigh and took her small hands into his, "Relax princess, i don't bite," with a gentle voice he whispered right into Qing Lian's ear, fully aware that it would only worsen her embarrassment, yet couldn't help but to tease more.

Witnessing his twin being harassed like that, Qing Youya slightly knitted his brows in displeasure, "Don't overstep your bound please, sister-in-law," still with his mild smile, he seethed in a cold voice.

"I wouldn't dare! I just can't help myself as she is sooo cute!" Yamato squeezed Qing Lian into his embrace, looking very delighted and happy.

Qing Youya chose to give in and heaved a deep sigh. They continued the journey as such, the prince just continued reading his book, while Wang Li stayed silent. Yamato kept hugging Qing Lian til the princess got used to it and recovered her previous pale complexion.

Eventually they reached the planned rest area, a cool riverside with warm blowing wind. The leading cavalry announced the following carriages to stop and to park in place. The maidservant quickly got the rations out to feed all the soldiers and the masters.

Yamato got out from the carriage while carrying a calm faced Qing Lian in his arms, appearing straight and steady although he was actually enduring his headache hard.

Wang Li was very competent and professional as she quickly whip up a mat and some stool under a tree with the most flat ground she immediately found. With her respectful and cold disposition, Wang Li leads both Qing Youya and Ren Xiu subtly to their seat while barely saying anything. Truly an example of professionalism.

"Thank you," Yamato said with a smile.

"As your highness wishes," Wang Li replied.

From afar, Yamato could see the busy maids preparing rations to shape a meal, and he saw An Xiao stood still beside the carriage with a clear anxious mien. Everytime she was about to take a step, she withdrew, everytime she was about to reach out her hands, she retracted, seeming very indecisive and hesitant. Yamato could roughly guess why, but have no slightest intention to save the girl from the awfully awkward predicament and instead chuckled quietly.

Yamato gently placed Qing Lian on the stool, "I'm going for a bit."

Still in a stupor, Qing Lian subconsciously nodded, but immediately startled a second later,"Eh? Where to?"