xxiv. NEVER-ENDING

In that hiding spot, all Charles felt was sheer anxiety, his fear and worry was off the charts as he kept his eyes squeezed closed, holding Will's hand in his tightly close to his chest. He opened his eyes slowly and looked at Will who was staring in one spot, straight ahead and upwards.

"Griswolds Family, this is Scoops Troop! Do you copy? Over!" It is repeated twice on the supercomm before the monster took the radio, and started screeching into it. It's repeated multiple more times even after the monster threw it, shattering some of the pieces off. Charles feels Will's grip on his hand tighten, and he looked at him again.

Will looked back at Charles and saw the look in his eyes. "I love you." Charles mouthed and Will felt his eyes get glossy, filling with tears. "I love you too." He mouthed back, closing his eyes. Charles looked away, pursing his lips together.

This went on for a while more longer, Will just shaking with fear as he held tightly onto Charles' hand. Mike, Max and El had tried to leave through the Gap but made noise, getting the monster's attention and running to the store.

There was no acknowledge of what was happening to the three in the store to the other five of the group and it kept looking through the store, trying to find the three that were hiding. Until Lucas got an idea, using his slingshot. "What are you doing?" Nancy whispered to him right away.

"Don't worry." He whispers and Charles quickly moved to watch as Lucas stood up, using his slingshot to aim it at the monster. It was a bad idea, but then Charles whispers, "balloons." He pointed at one of the other stores that had balloons in front, a blue one, a red and a white one and Lucas glanced over. He quickly realized what he meant and aimed at the balloons instead. He lets go of the rock, hitting and popping the balloon.

Both boys quickly get down as the monster turned his attention to the source of the sound right away. "Go, go, go, go!" Jonathan ushered the kids, Lucas running first and jumping over the counter. Will and Charles holding hands ran behind Lucas with Jonathan and Nancy following.

Outside the mall, the group all ran to get into the car, Charles between Will and Lucas again. Billy was still there, roaring his engine. Jonathan rushed to get into the drivers seat, trying to get the engine started but it still didn't work at first.

"Shit! We gotta go!" Lucas yelled as Billy started driving forward, towards them. "Jonathan!" Charles yelled but the engine still won't start and Nancy started shooting, trying to hit Billy. The car got closer and closer so Charles naturally turned towards Will and wrapped both arms around him. Will stayed there in Charles' arms, his eyes closed and Charles did the same, waiting for impact.

But nothing. Charles looked up right away and saw that another car rammed into Billy's. Billy's car lit on fire and Charles sighed. "Harrington," he mumbled then looked over at Will who let out a small sigh of relief. Without thinking, Will leapt over and pressed his lips to Charles'. Charles pulled back and wrapped his arms around Will again.

Eventually the car was started and Jonathan drove, stopping right by the Todd father, "get in!" Nancy yelled to Steve and Robin who both quickly got out of the car and into theirs. "Go, go, go, go!" Steve shouted to Robin as they got in.

The Mind Flayer were now following the car down the road and Charles figured it was a good thing, drawing it away from the mall.

As they drove, Charles sat there, staring ahead with his hand still in Will's. "Dusty-bun, do you copy?" Is overheard on the radio in the back that Robin and Steve had. "I copy, Suzie-poo. It sounds much better now, thanks." Dustin says.

"Suzie." Charles mumbled, looking at Will to his right who looked back at him. "Okay, so, listen, do you know Planck's constant?"

"Do you know the Earth orbits the sun?"

"Okay, so I know it starts with two sixes, and then a... W-What is it?" Dustin asked. "Okay, let me just be clear on this. I haven't heard from you in a week, and now you want a mathematical equation that you should know so you can... save the world?" She said and Charles shrugs softly.

"She does sound cute," he whispers and Will looks at him with a look of disbelief. "I was just kissing you." He whispers and Charles looks back at him. "Shh, I'm trying to listen."

"You can make it up to me now."

"What?"

"I want to hear it."

"Not right now."

"Yes, now, Dusty-bun."

"Suzie-poo, this is urgent."

"Yes, yes, you're saving the world, I heard you the first time, but Ged is also saving Earthsea and he's about to confront the shadow, so this is Suzie, signing off." She said and Charles smiles.

"Wait, wait, okay! Okay. Okay."

It's a while until Dustin is heard again over the supercomm, "turn around.." Charles looked at Will right away who furrowed his eyebrows together as he looked back at Charles, also listening.

"Look at what you see. In her face. The mirror of your dreams." Dustin sang as Robin and Steve look to Charles, Lucas and Will. Robin had a sort of annoyed look on her face as Steve had a confused one. Lucas and Will were as confused as Charles was just in disbelief of what was happening. Dustin and Suzie having a fucking musical number.

"Make believe I'm everywhere. Given in the light. Written on the pages is the answer to a never-ending story." Suzie and Dustin sang in sync before harmonizing perfectly together. "They're kinda good, but what the actual fuck?" Charles said and Will nudged him for cursing.

"Reach the star. Fly a fantasy. Dream a dream. And what you see will be rhymes that keep their secrets will unfold behind the clouds." They sang as Will looked at Charles again.

"I know, Will, I know.." He whispers as Will just looked away, still confused. "And there upon a rainbow is the answer to a never-ending story." They sang and vocalized again. "Story.." They sang and then end the song slowly together. Dustin chuckled softly into the radio.

"Planck's constant is 6.62607004." Suzie said and Charles sighed, kind of glad it was over but wanted to experience it once more. "You just saved the world." Dustin says. "Gosh, I miss you, Dusty-bun." Suzie said and Charles raised his finger to his mouth, "elgh!" He said, pretending to gag himself.

"You were just kissing Will..."

"Shut up, Lucas."

authors note next person to say hopper dying is suzie's fault is gonna have to fight me!!!

she missed her boyfriend, who i might add didn't radio her all week and suddenly did during the night and so what if she wanted him to make it up to her??? jesus fuck, i'd do the same!! she didn't KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON. SHE IS BARELY A NEW CHARACTER STOP ATTACKING HER!!
also she is so soft, she is baby and honestly perfect for our little dusty-bun 🥺🥺🥺

+ double update for today becuz i love u all. 🥺