xiv. BE HONEST

After Jonathan and Nancy headed up, the group of six teenagers went into the waiting room, Will sat down at one of the chairs as Max and El look through the collection of magazines. Charles, Lucas and Mike walk over to the vending machine.

He usually always has a backpack filled with water and some healthy snacks but he's been so busy lately he doesn't ever get to or even go home. He waited patiently behind Lucas and Mike, holding both hands in the pockets of his jeans.

He wore the last clothes he left at the Byers house which ended up being a pair of dark washed jeans and a button up yellow shirt with a floral pattern he just tucked into his waistband. He doesn't usually wear things like this in public, he wore it last almost a year ago in the summer when he and Will always had sleepovers in July 1984. And he was only going from one place to Will's, so no one really saw him in it except for Joyce and Will who both liked it and said it looked nice on him.

      It was a birthday gift from his grandparents.

     "Come on, Mike," He said, hitting him gently and Mike puts in his coins before pressing the buttons D and 3. They stand and watch the wire slowly move but then it stops, not letting the Kit Kat go.

"Oh, come on, you piece of shit!" Mike said then hit the side of the vending machine and Charles just sighs disappointedly. The two boys in front of him start to hit and shake the vending machine but the candy bar just won't budge, but then all of the candy went forward, coming to the bottom.

The three all look at El right away who just reached up and wiped her nose before she went back to reading. Charles smiled and quickly went in to grab a bag of Reese's Pieces before he stood back up, not even hesitating to open the bag.

"Thanks." Mike said and El simply nodded as Lucas grabs a bunch of the candy. "Dude, I think that was it." Lucas said when Mike crouched down next to him. "That was what?" Mike asked and Charles crouched down. "The olive branch." He whispers and Mike glanced back at him.

"The what?" He says and Lucas looks at him before he and Charles share a look. "Oh, my God. You're hopeless." Lucas says and Charles smirks, looking at Mike before he stopped. "The olive branch is just technically an okay, that you might be forgiven. Jennifer gave me one but I wanted to stay broken up." He says as he shrugs slightly.

"And not because you're into guys?" Lucas says as he looks at Charles. "And not because you're into guys, bite me Lucas, it's obviously why." He says and Lucas rolls his eyes, looking at Mike. "Okay," he says, putting his hand on his shoulder.

"I'll distract Max, get you an opening. And then talk to her. Alright?" He says and Charles snickers. "Yeah, and don't mess it up, Wheeler," he says before standing up and walking away. He walks over to the other side of the waiting room, sitting down on one of the seats and eating his candy.

He throws one up and tries to catch it but failed miserably. He rolls his eyes and kicked it away, it goes right to where Will was sitting. It stopped between Will's feet and he glanced up at Will, smiling. The boy doesn't smile back, he just looks away and Charles frowned, looking down.

El is now sitting by herself as Lucas threw skittles up into the air for Max to catch in her mouth. Mike walked over and sat next to El. He looked at Will and nodded his head to the side, glancing at Charles. Will quickly got the idea and stood up. He walks over to Charles, sitting next to him and Charles looks at him, smiling faintly.

      "You okay?" He asked and Will stayed quiet, playing with the hem of his shorts. "Will.." He said softly and Will looks at him. "I'm fine.." He says and Charles just frowned slightly.

     "Will, I don't like it when you lie to me.. Can you just be honest?" He whispers and Will reached up, holding his hand under his chin before putting it back down onto his lap, sighing as he bit down on his bottom lip for a moment.

     "Will, just tell me.. is something bothering you?" Charles asked and Will looks at him. "Not precisely.." He shrugged his shoulders and Charles' face just scrunched up, sort of confused.

     "It's not bothering me, I swear," Will says with an exaggerated look as he looks away and Charles' face softened slightly, staring at Will. "Then what is it? Is it upsetting you?" He asked and Will stayed quiet, glancing around the small room.

"I don't know.. I-I guess it is upsetting?"

"What is it? Is it something I did?" He asked then sighed, glancing around. "Because if so," he leaned closer and just smiled faintly. "I'm sorry. I-I say or do a lot of stupid shit and if it offended you, hurt you or upset you in any way, shape or form, I didn't mean it and I'll never say or do anything like it again.." He says and Will sighs, looking at him.

     "Why'd.. why did you call Heather hot?" He whispers and Charles glanced away, barely even remembering he ever said that. "Oh.. Uh.. Just as a joke, Will, I swear.. I-It was nothing." He smiled a bit and Will just looked away.

     "Will.. do you believe me?" He says and Will just looks up at him. "I-I-" Will paused when the lights started flickering. He glanced up. "Will." Charles said as Will then stood up, watching as all of the lights now flicker. Charles quickly noticed them, getting up and standing behind him.

     The kids all stood together now, gathered around one another, watching the lights with confused looks on their faces. Will reached up to the back of his neck, "he's here." He says and Charles looked at him right away with a worried look.

authors note i imagined charles in this shirt

and i got so soft like ugh he is the cutest🥺🥺

+ charles' apology, mike, take notes dummy