xvi. MIND FLAYER

At the Byers' home, Charles left Will's side, but just this once because Jonathan was sitting by his brother, whispering to him. Charles was now seated between Mike and Max, his arms crossed as he stared at the table he was sitting at.

     "Sam Owens. Dr. Sam Owens. I don't know how many people are there! I don't know how many people are left alive! I am the police! Chief Jim Hopper! Yes, the number that I gave you, yes. 6767... I will be here." Hopper said on the phone then hung up. Charles stayed quiet.

    "They didn't believe you, did they?" Dustin asked making Charles look up at him. "We'll see." Hopper said and Charles scoffed at that. "We'll see? We can't just sit here while those things are loose!" Mike said and Charles agreed with him.

    "We sit here, and we wait for help." Hopper said then he walks away, heading to Joyce's room where Sarah was comforting Joyce. He knocked softly of course then opened the door. He walks over and sat in front of the two. It was like that for three since they met, being together in silence.

    Everyone was gloomy, sitting or standing around and Charles didn't like it. He always wanted to help in times like these, he hated silence and sadness. Then Mike walked away, he watched the boy pick up one of the toys that Bob brought over.

    "Did you guys know that Bob was the original founder of Hawkins AV?" He asked and Charles smiled slightly. "Really?" Lucas said and Mike turns towards them. "He petitioned the school to start it and everything. Then he had a fundraiser for equipment. Mr. Clarke learned everything from him." He said then he walks over.

     "Pretty awesome, right?" He asked then sets the block down on the table. "Yeah." Dustin and Lucas replied with as Charles nodded. "We can't let him die in vain." He says and Charles looks down, frowning slightly. "What do you want to do, Mike? Alright, the Chief's right on this. We can't stop those Demo-dogs on our own." Dustin says.

      "Demo-dogs?" Max said with confusion as Charles looks at Dustin with furrowed eyebrows. "Demogorgon dogs. Demo-dogs. It's like a compound." He said and Charles smiled slightly. Dustin always came up with the most clever things. "It's like a play on words—" "Okay." Max said right away, not wanting him to further his explanation since she understood well enough.

    "I mean, when it was just Dart, maybe.." Dustin trailed off. "But there's an army now." Lucas says. "Precisely." Charles shrugs and then looked up at Mike. "His army." The boy said.

    "What do you mean?" Steve asked. "His army." Mike said, looking at them all individually then at Charles. "Maybe if we stop him, we can stop his army, too." He explained and Charles understood right away, standing from his seat.

     He walks down the hall with Mike and the others following. He grabs the paper, holding it up which Mike grabs right away. "The shadow monster." Dustin said. "It got Will that day in the field. The doctor said it was like a virus, it infected him." Charles said as he looked at Dustin then Mike.

     "And so, this virus, it's connecting him to the tunnels?" Max asked and Charles looks at her. "To the tunnels, monsters, the Upside Down, everything." He said and Mike nodded. "Whoa, slow down, slow down." Steve said as he holds up his hands. "Okay, so,  the shadow monster's inside everything. And if the vines feel something like pain," Mike explained as Charles nodded. "Then so does Will." He says, continuing for Mike.

    "And so does Dart." Lucas said and Charles looks at him, nodding. "Yeah. It's like what Mr. Clarke taught us. The hive mind." Mike says.

     "Hive mind?" Steve questioned. "A collective consciousness. It's super-organism." Dustin explained to the older teen. "And this is the thing that controls everything. It's the brain." Charles said, pointing at the drawing of the monster.

    "Like the mind flayer." Dustin said and Lucas snaps his fingers, pointing at Dustin. "The what?" Max said with a confused look as Steve was also confused, "what?" He asked.

      Charles looks for Will's book about Dungeons and Dragons, knowing where it was by heart then they rush out to the kitchen. Dustin grabs the book, opening it to the page about the Mind Flayer, setting it down as everyone was all around the table, everyone except Will and Joyce.

      "The mind flayer." Dustin says as he looks up. "What the hell is that?" Hopper asked the boy. "It's a monster from an unknown dimension. It's so ancient that it doesn't even know its true home. Okay, it enslaves races of other dimensions by taking over their brains using its highly-developed psionic powers." Dustin explained.

     "Oh, my God, none of this is real. This is a kids' game." Hopper says and Charles rolled his eyes. "No, it's a manual. And it's not for kids. And unless you know something that we don't," Dustin said as he raised his finger to point at the man, "this is the best metaphor—" "Analogy." Lucas says.

"Analogy? That's what you're worried about?" Dustin said to the boy. "Fine. An analogy for understanding whatever the hell this is." He said and Charles sighed, crossing his arms. "Okay, so this mind flamer thing—" "Mind flayer." Charles politely corrects her and she nods.

"Right. Mind flayer. What does it want?" She then asked, looking at Dustin standing between her and Steve. "To conquer us, basically. It believes it's the master race." Dustin explained.

"Like the Germans?" Steve stammered and Charles' face scrunched up in confusion. "Uh, the Nazis?" Dustin asked him. "Yeah, yeah, yeah, the Nazis." Steve quickly said, seeming embarrassed a thirteen year old corrected him. "Uh.." Dustin thought for a moment and Charles looks up.

"If the Nazis were from another dimension," Charles said and Dustin nods. "Then totally." He said and Charles nods as well. "Uh, it views other races, like us, as inferior to itself." Dustin then explained. "It wants to spread, take over other dimensions." Mike then continued for him.

"We are talking about the destruction of our world as we know it." Lucas said. "That's great. That's great. That's really great. Jesus!" Steve said as he turns away, walking off. "Okay, so if this thing is like a brain that's controlling everhthing, then if we kill it.." Nancy said as she picked up the book.

authors note continued next chapter, kinda weird part to stop but whatever lmao
+ probably the only one who thought of patrick hockstetter when she said flamer instead of flayer

authors note continued next chapter, kinda weird part to stop but whatever lmao+ probably the only one who thought of patrick hockstetter when she said flamer instead of flayer

NiCe FrIsBeE,,, fLaMeR 😎👊🏼🤣🔥👁👄👁