i. I'M SORRY

It's June 28, 1985 and it's been six months since the Snowball. Charles was dragged into dating Jennifer after that dance, but they started to drift apart and Charles ended up dumping her in January earlier this year. Ever since, Charles has been trying to make it up to Will, after everything.

      But Will has been ignoring him, every time they start to be alone. If he was being honest. It was hard, on Valentines' Day that year, he got Will a teddy bear and a box of candies, he put them on Will's bed one morning and quickly left for school.

     Will never said anything about it. And on Will's birthday, he got him a tape filled with songs that reminded him of Will. He put a note on it saying "like I said, sad, happy songs that remind me of you." Will secretly listens to it all the time.

Charles has thought of giving up many times. But he loves Will too much. He meant what he said, Will Byers was a once in a lifetime thing and he wasn't gonna just give up on him. Not for anyone else. Not Jennifer or anyone else he could meet.

Tonight, Charles was meeting the party to sneak into the movie theatre at the new mall since Steve was working at the ice cream parlor, Scoops Ahoy. Charles was originally suppose to meet up with them, but he couldn't resist. He goes to Will's.

He knocked on the door and Joyce was the one to open the door. "Charles, hi," she smiled at him. "Uh.. I'm here for Will." He said with a small smile on his face and she nodded, letting him in.

He walks into Will's bedroom hesitantly, smiling when he saw the boy was drawing at his desk. He cleared his throat and knocked on the door. "Yes, mom, you can drive me—" Will paused when he turned to see it wasn't Joyce.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, taken back before turning away. Charles looked down, walking over and sitting at the end of Will's bed. "Will, I messed up.." He said and Will held himself back from laughing bitterly at him.

"Will." He said and Will sighed, turning around to face Charles who was staring at him. "I.. shouldn't have danced with Jennifer.." He said and Will looked down at the mention of Jennifer.

"To be honest, I wanted to dance with you.. and only you." He said and Will looks up at him. "And.. it's just.. I-I messed up and I hate myself for it, you know?" He said, looking away.

"I just was getting so much pressure from everyone, you know? Mike, what he said about us.. My grandparents and my mom were saying stuff about us and how we should be able to dance together, but.. I don't know, I guess, I was scared.." He said, tearing up a bit.

"For a lot of years, practically most of my life, I've been bullied, and what did they mostly say to me? What did they call me most? Gay, queer, fairy, like it's a bad thing, and I don't blame them. I'm a freak." He says and Will sighed, standing up.

He walks over, sitting down next to him. "You're not a freak.. You're just gay." He says and Charles looks at him, frowning slightly. "I'm sorry, Will.." He said and Will looked away.

    "Okay.." Will nodded his head slowly and Charles raised his eyebrows. "Y-You forgive me?" He whispers and Will looks at him. "You hurt me... And I can never forgive you for that." He says.

    Charles' happy expression changes into a sad one as he stared at Will. Will suddenly chuckled, nudging Charles. "I'm kidding.." He says and Charles lets out a deep breath of relief. "You scared me.." He whispers and Will just smiled.

     "I get where you're coming from, Charles.. And I can't blame you for it. I mean, Jennifer kissed you first anyways." He shrugged, looking away and Charles just smiled. "I really am sorry, Will.." He says and Will looked over at him.

     "You just.. mean everything to me." He said suddenly, grabbing Will's hand and Will stared at him for a moment, his heart skipping a beat. "I wish I never did that.. Because one thing I always told myself I would never do was.. hurt you." He said as he stared down at their hands.

     It's been so long since he was this close to Will, holding his hand, sitting next to him and not to mention he finally got to explain himself and say he was sorry. He looks up to see Will was staring at him, nodding his head slowly.

"I missed you." Charles said with a frown and Will smiles. "I missed you too, Charles.." He says, squeezing Charles' hand gently. Charles couldn't resist, he reached out and wrapped both arms around Will tightly. Will hugged back, smiling as he puts his chin on Charles' shoulder.

     The two held each other like that for a while, hugging each other tightly and Charles lets out a small sigh. "Can we go back to being friends?" He asked and Will pulled back slightly. "And.. what about.. more?" He whispered, staring at Charles.

     Charles smiled, rubbing Will's back, nodding his head a bit. "We'll work on it.." He whispers and Will nodded his head, smiling more. He leaned in, kissing Charles' cheek for a few seconds before getting up and walking over to his backpack.

     "Did you pack snacks in your backpack too?" Will asked and Charles nodded his head, getting up and slinging his backpack off. He holds up the skittles, "who asked for these?" He asked and Will just shrugged his shoulders.

    "Mom! Can you drive us now?" He called out. "Yes! I'll be waiting in the car!" Joyce called back and Charles smiles, looking at Will. "I thought she let you drive your bike anywhere now." He says and Will shrugs his shoulders. "Better to get a ride.. movie starts soon." He points to the clock.

     "Oh, shit, you're right.."

authors note i'm: excited ✋😆