Chapter Thirty-Six

I want to giggle as we leave a very depressed jewelry counter girl behind, moving on to bigger and better things, like warm coats and working phones.

"Why won't you wear your new coat?" Alex asks, as the cashier tries desperately to shove the thing into a tiny plastic bag.

"I don't know. I kinda like wearing your jacket. Makes me feel like I'm getting hugged by you all day."

"See, I knew you liked my cuddles," Alex taunts with a smug smirk.

"And I don't deny it, my Cuddle Bunny," I say, laughing. It feels so good. I can't get over how far life has come in just a few hours. Yesterday felt like the end of my world, yet today feels filled with possibilities. 

"Wanna check if the phone store fixed your phone?" 

"Sure." I take the bag from the cashier and use my free hand to reclaim Alex's. He's only been relinquishing my hand when I have to use it for something else.

"So any thoughts on what you are going to do now that you're not working?" I ask as we walk through the mall.

"I'm undecided. I need to get a job, eventually, but I actually have enough money saved I can probably move on to something part-time and still make rent. Doing so will help a lot with my ability to get my schoolwork done."

"I'm willing to help, you know. I paid my own way with Liam," I remind him.

"I know, Cat, but I'd rather you save that money for whatever you may need coming up, you know, for the baby."

I smile up at him. "Okay."

As he gazes down at me, his expression turns serious, but I don't have to wonder long what prompts his mood change as he stops me. "Cat?"

"Yeah."

"You said something back at the police station I can't stop thinking about."

"What did I say?" I don't care for his unhappy look of concern regarding whatever I must have said.

"You said you'd like us to be a family."

"Oh, that," I look away in slight embarrassment.

I feel my cheeks heat and get the flutters in my stomach. I didn't actually mean for that to come out how it did. Although it is the truth, my soul has a way of talking for me when I'm not exactly ready for the outcome.

"Did you mean it?"

I glance briefly around the mall. This is not the place I would have expected to have such a conversation, but then again, when has life ever given me what I expect.

"Yes," I admit. I silently pray he doesn't wish me to explain more because I'm not sure I understand things myself. I just know it's how I feel.

He looks both relieved and happy again. "Then may I make a request?"

My eyebrows raise and I brace for impact. Hesitant I say, "Sure." 

Alex chuckles. "It's not that bad, Cat." Leaving me with no doubt that my cringing shows outwardly.

"Okay."

"I would like, if it's okay with you, to come with you on your visits to the OB from now on."

His request dumbfounds me. "Really?"

"Well... yeah," he half-smiles, trying to hide his awkwardness by rubbing the back of his neck. "It kinda drives me crazy that I don't know what's going on with you and with the baby. Ever since I heard that little one's heartbeat I have felt... well, connected."