Chapter Eight

I turn in my script at the Pharmacy. When I return to the apartment, I complete my course work, so now I'm completely caught up to whatever Alex brings home for me today. I open the folder that I got from my doctor and start reading over the wealth of information about pregnancy, but a few sentences in and my eyes just can't stay open any longer.

I'm pregnant and I'm dreaming that I am having a little girl. I don't know how I know this- it's just one of those dream things, but I am happy. My hand is resting protectively on my swollen belly and I hear a child yelling, "Mommy!" excitedly. I turn to see a little boy with brown hair and hazel eyes running towards me. I smile and kneel to embrace him. He looks just like his father.

A warm voice says, "Hello beautiful." I look up, expecting to see Liam, but find I'm looking at Alex. He holds out his hand to help me to my feet. I'm standing there in front of him shyly smiling because he's gazing at me with a look I can't describe since I've never seen it's like before, but it makes me feel special, wanted... loved. He tucks a stray piece of my hair behind my ear. My eyes close and I could almost feel the warmth of his hand cupping my face. I rub my cheek against his palm and sigh in contentment.

Then I feel his lips graze mine. I part my lips and feel him smile against them as he deepens the kiss. My heart feels so light, like I don't have a care in the world. I'm loved and protected. His hand presses gently at the small of my back so I'm pulled even closer to him. All I know is I don't want this feeling to end.

I reach out with both hands and link them around his neck, drawing him closer to me. "Cat," he sighs, in a voice that is nearly a whisper.

"Cat."

The tug of reality trying to pull me back, but I do my best to hold on to the dream. I'm happy and content with life. I no longer feel scared because I am loved.

"Cat?" My eyes flutter open and there is Alex. He's kneeling on the floor next to me. When I look at him, I feel my face heat and I know I'm blushing. I glance away, not able to look him in the eye at the moment.

"That must have been one hell of dream you were having. You just didn't want to come back, did you?"

"It was just a dream," I say, trying to shrug it off because although it was a wonderful dream, it has no basis in reality.

"I have dinner ready."

I slide up on the sofa into a seated position from where I must have dozed off and try to stretch. "What time is it?"

"Nearly 5."

"I'm sorry. Our deal is that I make dinner and here I am sleeping on the job, day one."

He holds out his hand. I place my hand in his, and he helps me to my feet, just like in the dream. Forget the dream, Cat. You need to keep both feet planted firmly in reality. 

Alex is staring down at me and he reaches up and tucks a piece of my hair behind my ear like he has a few times before, only this time he does not know how that simple motion is killing me on the inside.

The back of his fingers brush against my jaw and he's smiling that brilliant smile at me.

"Truth is, you did make dinner. I just reheated what we left of the lasagna. I know I could have just reheated a piece for myself, but I thought you might like to join me."

"Thank you." I still can't bring myself to meet his eyes. His head tilts like he's contemplating something, and then he steps back. "Well, it's ready, so..." He makes a hand motion for me to take the lead and I walk ahead of him to the counter.