Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Hey, Tiger." Dillion glances at the door that Liam just left through. "Everything okay?" he asks, nodding towards the door.

"As good as they are going to get under the circumstances," I reply.

"You're not..." Dillion can't even bring himself to finish his sentence, so I finish it for him.

"We're over. Can't promise you won't be spending holidays or birthdays with Liam once with the baby is born, but that will be up to him."

"So, you're saying I'm stuck with him," Dillion says with a grin.

"Yeah, pretty much. So can you try a little harder not to beat up your Niece or Nephew's father?"

The grin disappears. "I was out of line, Cat. I shouldn't have pushed things as far as I did."

"Dad was actually hoping you would," I inform him, and his eyes light up with surprise.

"Really?"

I nod my head, and he laughs. "Damn, that means I passed up my one shot to deck the guy."

"Afraid so. You must be on your best behavior from here on out."

He gives a mock frown, making me chuckle. "Poor Baby. I'm sure I'll find someone else for you to hate someday."

"I wouldn't be too sure of that, Tiger."

"Why? Are you turning over a new leaf?"

"No, but I really like Alex," Dillion tells me, which throws me for a second.

"Dillion, Alex and I..."

"Save it, Tiger. You may be in denial, but I know that dreamy look of yours. You're head over heels, girl, whether you admit it."

There's a sudden ache in my chest and I'd love to blame it on hypertension, but I know that's not true. "It can't happen."

"Why not? Too good looking for you? Can't handle the competition?"

"Shut up. You know I'm not like that."

"I do know what you're like, Tiger. That's why I can't figure you out. Why wouldn't you take a chance on Alex? He's a good guy, a great guy. Hell, he even stood up to me because he understood it was the right thing to do for you."

"He's not meant for me," I state simply. It hurts to say it, but I know it's the truth.

"Not meant for you?" My brother's face scrunches up like I'm talking nonsense.

"Is he in a relationship with someone else?"

"No, but he loves someone else," I confess.

"You're certain about this?"

I nod. "He's in love with William."

For a second, I think my brother may fall over. "Are you saying what I think you're saying?"

I give another quick nod. "I shouldn't be saying anything because it's not my place to say, but I just don't want you pushing your agenda hoping for something might happen that has no chance."

"No! No, Tiger. I'm sorry, but you're wrong on this. There's just no way."

"He told me himself, Dillion. William and Alex go way back. He's been to rallies and AIDS walks with him. I've seen pictures of Alex dressed rather... well, flamboyantly. In fact, if William didn't get all weird on him, they'd be together right now. That was Alex's plan for Winter Break. It certainly wasn't being here with me."

Dillion collapses into the closest chair. "This makes no sense, Tiger. I could have sworn... I just can't believe he's gay. Bi-sexual maybe, but I can't believe he's only into dudes. I've seen how he looks at you. That's not the look of a gay man."