Chapter 3

The day seemed quite normal. Wang Yibo was just chilling in the school canteen. He didn't feel like eating. It has been almost a week since he last saw Xiao Zhan. He silently cursed at the professor for arranging only one discussion class per week. He couldn't help himself but think about Xiao Zhan often. At this point, he knew he wasn't just angry. Something is definitely going wrong with him.

"Yibo!" someone called out. He turned around to see Qi Pei Xin heading towards him. Pei Xin was one of his close friends. They usually go on drive around at night on their motorbikes. "What?" Yibo replied soullessly. "I thought we agreed on going for a ride this evening. Are you not coming?" Pei Xin asked with a pouty face.

Yibo hesitated a bit. He looked at his watch and then replied, "My last class ends at 4." Pei Xin was amazed by his friend's answer. They've known each other for four years and Yibo always chooses his motorbike over anything, let alone a stupid discussion class.

"Are you seriously going to that discussion class? Wang Yibo!" Pei Xin exclaimed. "I need to fill my attendance, you idiot. I don't want to retake for the third time." Wang Yibo rolled his eyes. Pei Xin looked at his friend in awe. It's so rare Wang Yibo would spend this much time talking and would even explain to him things. Normally, he would've been ignored by this living statue.

"Well, if you change your mind, I'm at the parking lot as usual. But..." he paused for a while and looked at a distracted Wang Yibo and continued, "...seems like you won't becoming. Xiong di, I'm leaving!" Pei Xin patted Yibo's shoulders and left.

[A/N] *Xiong di* - brother (i feel like xiong di sounds a bit more natural than a brother)

It was about 15 minutes since the class started. Yibo was still standing in front of the class, not because he was late but because he didn't know whether he wanted to go in or not. Finally, after 5 more minutes of hesitation, he finally went in. The entire class was only an hour and he is 20 minutes late.

As usual, he took a seat at the back row. He tried not to look at Xiao Zhan but he couldn't help himself but steal glances once in a while. Yibo felt like the remaining 40 minutes was just 4 minutes. It went by too fast. He didn't want to embarrass himself like last time so he was about to leave until someone grabbed his arms. 

When he turned around, it was Xiao Zhan! Yibo silently swallowed his saliva. Xiao Zhan remembered Yibo asking about the practice questions last week so he naturally thought Yibo would've done it this week.

"Tong xue, you haven't submitted your practice questions yet." Xiao Zhan asked. "I never told I'd submit one." Wang Yibo rolled his eyes in an annoyed manner. Xiao Zhan frowned slightly, not expecting this kind of answer.

[A/N] *tong xue* - student (It's a term you use to call students but if I just put 'student', it just sounds too awkward)

"Are you going to let me go now?" Wang Yibo shifted his eyes to Xiao Zhan's hands that were still holding his arms. Xiao Zhan quickly let it go and stepped back. "Sorry," he softly mumbled.

"Do you have anything else to say?" Yibo asked. Xiao Zhan was caught off guard but he was disappointed with the way Yibo acted. Normally, Xiao Zhan would just let it go but this time, he wanted to act tough.

"I'm not your professor but this is not the attitude you talk to me. I'm still your senior. I'm not supposed to be telling you what to do. If you are not here for the extra practice questions, there's no need to come to my class next time." Xiao Zhan left after grabbing his bag. Xiao Zhan could finally breathe in and out after he left the class.

The person left in the room was Yibo, who was even more startled than Xiao Zhan was. The boy in front of him was totally different from the boy who ran into him three months ago. He is not careless anymore. Yibo felt like he made a huge mistake.

Afterward, he headed towards the parking lot where his beloved motorbike was parked. He was about to put on his helmet when he saw someone coming out of the faculty building. It was Xiao Zhan. The young teaching assistant waved at someone who was seated in a purple car. Xiao Zhan was even smiling... the exact smile Yibo witnessed three months ago.

Xiao Zhan then got on the purple car and they drove off. Yibo silently wished if he could be the one driving Xiao Zhan instead. He knew he was acting weird. He never felt like this way, except only once which was about three months ago, when the incident happened. Although he acted all cold and rude, he quietly waited for the boy to text him and ask for a new bike. Yet, he didn't receive any messages. Could this boy really be the cause of all his confusion? Deep inside, Yibo already knew the answer.

---

Xiao Zhan and Zhuo Cheng were studying together as usual. Although Zhuo Cheng wanted to study outside, Xiao Zhan insisted they do it at Zhuo Cheng's house. First, he wanted Zhuo Cheng and his dad to reconcile and second, Zhuo Cheng only talks politely to his dad in front of Xiao Zhan.

"Zhuo Cheng, is Uncle Wang home?" Xiao Zhan asked. "Mn. He's in his studies. Why? Do you want to see him? For what? Tell him that I care about him and it's just that I'm bad at expressing? Zhan ge, I already told you. Stop trying to solve this problem. It can't be helped anymore!" Zhuo Cheng explained in despair.

Xiao Zhan just shook his head, not knowing what to say. Back when they were young, they used to be a happy family. Zhuo Cheng's mom was still there and they would often play together in the backyard.

The study session ended around 8. Xiao Zhan decided to stop by the study room to greet Uncle Wang. He knocked before he entered. He found Mr. Wang reading a book on his armchair.

"Uncle Wang!" he greeted. "Xiao Zhan! You're here! I'm a bit saddened you didn't come to greet me often. How are you these days?" Mr. Wang gladly responded. "I've been well. I just started my job as a teaching assistant. I wanted to come, it's just that Zhuo Cheng didn't let me." Xiao Zhan teased.

"I wasn't keeping track of time. Is it 8 already? Are the buses still running? Why don't you ask Zhuo Cheng to drive you home?" Mr. Wang asked.

"The buses do run at this time. It's okay, Zhuo Cheng must be tired from classes all day. By the way, I heard... your other son has been living here too." Xiao Zhan started.

Uncle Wang sighed. "So, you've heard... that boy is going to Fudan too. He's living alone somewhere quite far so I called him to live with me. After all, my house is much closer to the university and even though it seems absurd, I hope he can make up with Zhuo Cheng. They are both my sons. It's really my dying wish."

Xiao Zhan also wanted to help Uncle Wang. However, he also knew that Zhuo Cheng wouldn't even talk to that other son, let alone makeup with him and be brothers. "Uncle Wang, I can't promise you anything but I'll definitely try to help you." Xiao Zhan assured.

---

It was around 1 am when Wang Yibo went back to his home. There was a reason he didn't want to go home. He didn't even feel it was his home. He was rather forced to live there.

He parked his motorbike in front of the house when something caught his eyes. It was a purple car. It looked quite similar but he wasn't sure if it was the same exact one that took away Xiao Zhan. But in his heart, he really worried that it would be the same one. He has lost so many things to his stepbrother, he can't lose Xiao Zhan.

---

So that's chapter 3 for you! I'm pretty sure by this stage, you guys might have already guessed that Yibo and Zhuo Cheng are step-brothers. The reason that why Yibo was never able to receive a message from Xiao Zhan after the accident will be revealed later!!