Warming Inexistent Hearts

Start from the beginning

     Crowley frowned, why was there a child here? Shouldn't she be at home? Not.. you know.. watching a man get crucified?

     He decided to investigate—he tried to convince himself that it was because he hated the child crying (and it was true!) but he simply had an urge to comfort the child. Seeing her sobbing like that broke his inexistent heart.

     "Hello, child," Crowley spoke slowly, moving as such. He didn't want to scare the girl away.

     Said girl was maybe 13; her long blond curls and bright (yet bloodshot) blue eyes reminded Crowley of Aziraphale.

     She looked up at him in slight fear—most likely his eyes, the older people are, the more disgusted they seem by them. Yet, despite her clear anxiousness, she didn't move when he sat a meter (nearly a yard, for you Americans) away from her.

"Do you want to tell me why you're crying, love?" Crowley's voice was soft, his eyebrows furrowed at the thought of the poor girl crying. He certainly hoped she wasn't attached to the crucified man, God's son.

The girl bit her lip and nodded. After a few patient minutes of sniffles and tear wiping, she spoke, "He.. he was a good man... Why does he have to die, Mister? Why are they doing that to him?"

Crowley hesitated a moment, not wanting to tell her anything that would make her feel worse. "What's your name?"

"What's yours, Mister?" She asked, crossing her arms.

The demon smiled just a little, "I asked you first."

"I— Well— Ugh." She rolled her eyes and giggled, "My name is Chantrea."

"Nice to meet you, Chantrea, Light of the Moon, my name is Crowley," he held out a hand for her to shake—to which she did.

"Will you.. Can you answer my questions?" Chantrea inquired with a small frown, a look of curiosity and pain on her face.

"Well... There's no easy way to put it.. It has been said that he must er.. be disposed of.. in order to cleanse humanity of all of their sins. I'd rather them not kill an innocent, good man but here we are, helpless."

The curly haired child thought that over and nodded slowly, "but it doesn't make sense... To exchange an innocent man for many peoples' sins..."

Crowley shrugged half-heartedly, "I know it doesn't make any sense. But you and I? We don't make the rules. She does," he pointed to the sky.

~~~

79 AD — Pompeii

Our protagonist demon absolutely loved travelling—despite being much much different, it vaguely reminded him of when he used to travel the stars with his brothers. It was because of them that he had such a taste for it.

That's what brings us to Pompeii in 79AD; Crowley had heard from reliable sources in Rome that if you wanted to travel anywhere seclusive, Pompeii was the place to go. It wasn't as large as some places he'd been but certainly not as small, either. Not only was the architecture (a Greek and Roman combination) and the food amazing, the people were absolutely lovely!