10 | safe

10 | SAFE

Only a few hours later, every being on the Starkiller base was awakened and present for the first use of the Starkiller to destroy a planet

Only a few hours later, every being on the Starkiller base was awakened and present for the first use of the Starkiller to destroy a planet. Yara was given a black dress with a matching cape to signify her superiority over the other commanders. Though she didn't want it, Snoke had requested it of her to begin playing a bigger role within the First Order. She was sure he wanted her to suffer as she watched her beautiful planet shatter into pieces. "Today is the end of the Republic. The end of a regime that acquiesces to disorder. At this very moment, in a system far from here, the new Republic lies to the galaxy, while secretly supporting the treachery of the loathsome Resistance. A new member of this Republic, who has openly addressed their support for the Resistance, is the planet Varis. This fierce machine which you have built, upon which we stand, will bring an end to the Senate! To their cherished fleet! All remaining systems will bow to the First Order! And will remember this as the last day of the Republic!" General Hux's speech was loud and clear. His face almost turned purple from all the screaming he had to do to assert his passion for the First Order.

Simultaneously, the troopers rose one fist in the air in solidarity. Yara's throat went dry at the sight. She prayed someone on Varis knew what was coming, that her mother and brother would be spared. The sight of all those troopers symbolized the amount of enemies her people had against them. She knew they were no match, alone, against the First Order. "Fire!" Hux barked out his order.

Suddenly a blinding read beam erupted from the Starkiller before the crowd of thousands of troopers. Yara watched as the beam shot up into the sky. Though she couldn't see that far, she felt the destruction coming to her planet and the dozens of others that supported the resistance. It was the first time she truly felt something by using the sense that the force gave her. Chills rolled down her spine and the hairs on her arms stood straight up.

The overwhelming feeling that took over her body made her want to ball up in a corner and cry. It's my fault I got the people of Varis killed. I shouldn't have ever decided to try to find Luke Skywalker. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Yara blames herself. A single, hot tear rolled down her face as she continued to watch the destruction unravel.

* * *

Soon after the presentation of the Starkiller decimations, Yara stood awaiting in the hangar for Kylo. It was time for their training, but she wasn't quite sure if it was still going to take place since he had just arrived back to the base with a captive. Apparently, it was the girl who had helped the rogue stormtrooper and the BB-8 unit that held the map to Luke Skywalker.

Kylo swiftly exited the ship with stormtroopers carrying the girl behind him. He caught sight of Yara and approached her, taking notice of the beautiful gown she was placed in. "The Republic has been destroyed, per Snoke's command-" Yara began to fill in Kylo of the events that happened on the base, her face still puffy from all the tears she had held back from earlier.

"Are you okay?" Kylo asked, feeling for her. Although he seemed dark and demeaning, he, too, was human. And he had conflicts within himself about which side he truly felt like he belonged to.

Yara looked up at him, finding it difficult to relate to him with that stupid mask on his face. Kylo read her mind and took it off as quickly as he could, showing his genuine look of concern. "No." Her bottom lip curled outward, she wanted to cry so bad. She bit her bottom lip so that she could hold her breakdown all in.

"I'll come get you for your training this evening." Kylo's face hardened as he noticed other people beginning to look at the two's sentimental conversation. Yara nodded and clasped her hands together. She spun on her heel and headed back to her room to ready herself for their training.

* * *

Just as he had promised, he came to her door to take her to her training. Yara rushed over to open the door the moment she heard the knock. Kylo looked around outside her door to make sure there was no one around before he let himself in her room. Yara was quite confused as to why he needed to come in, but she allowed it since, by the look on his face, it seemed urgent.

As soon as Yara closed the door shut, Kylo began to speak. "Your mother, Esmé, and your brother, Alexest, are fine. I compelled one of the troopers to send a signal to Varis about the upcoming attacks. They, and the majority of the people of Varis, are safe. I couldn't tell you this before because it's not safe to say anything, anywhere here." Kylo informed Yara.

Yara let out a sigh of relief. She nearly cried out of pure joy from the news, but she controlled herself and instead engulfed Kylo in a tight hug. "Thank you."

Kylo was taken aback by her hug. He wasn't expecting such gratitude from her. He carefully wrapped his arms around her in return. Yara broke their hug. "And the girl? Who is she?" Yara began to speak about the captive Kylo brought back.

"I don't know yet. I wanted you to join me." Kylo told her.

"That doesn't sound like a good idea. I'm not as intimidating as you." Yara didn't like the idea of going with Kylo to interrogate the girl. Knowing her, she'd probably end up befriending the girl before getting anything out of her.

"You'll be fine." Kylo assured her.