forty-six

Today was a sad day for Yoongi.

Jimin had gone to a friend's house for a group project he and two others were working on, leaving Yoongi to curl up like a burrito in a blanket on the couch in Jimin's living room on that lonely Saturday morning.

Granted, Jimin would only be gone for a few hours, but how painful those few hours would be without his cheerful eyesmile, his twinkly eyes, his teasing little touches, and of course, his fine ass.

Yes, Yoongi would miss everything about him, from the way he talked to the way he laughed to the way he—

"Yoongi dear, my son isn't dead, it's just a couple of hours," Mrs. Park laughed from the kitchen. "I'll be his substitute until he gets back, okay?"

"B-but I miss him!" Yoongi whined, curling further inwards in his bundle of warm blankets.

He could feel tears forming in his eyes and he willed them away, he really tried, but it was useless. They rolled down his cheeks and just kept coming until Yoongi was full-on crying.

Mrs. Park walked over to the sad bundle of blankets and tears that was Yoongi and sat down next to him on the couch.

"Sweetheart, it's okay, Jiminie will be here soon."

Yoongi felt so silly, crying about the lack of Jimin's presence with Jimin's mother, of all people. Yet he kept crying, even though his tears wouldn't magically make his best friend appear.

"I-I want him n-now!" he sobbed. He was crazy. Jimin had only been gone for an hour, but Yoongi's mind seemed to think that life just couldn't go on without him.

Thinking back, Yoongi couldn't recall a time he wasn't around Jimin for more than a few hours. Yoongi could barely sleep in his own bed anymore, liking Jimin's better because the warmth of Jimin's arms was everything compared to a measly blanket. And of course, his bed lacked Jimin himself.

Jimin was his world, and who was Yoongi without him?

"Talk to me, honey. I'll be here for you, just for a little while," Mrs. Park said in a soothing voice, petting Yoongi's hair to calm him down.

Jimin's mother always had a way of calming Yoongi down. When he was ten years old, he remembered having a panic attack in Jimin's bedroom, all alone. Jimin had left to get some snacks from Yoongi's house and wasn't there to witness his best friend's meltdown. Yoongi still didn't know what triggered the attack, but in any case, Mrs. Park appeared almost magically and spoke in that calming voice of hers, rubbing Yoongi's back as she watched his crying subside to soft hiccups and sniffles.

In the exact same manner, Mrs. Park was able to calm Yoongi down with just her soft voice and her hand petting his hair, reminding him, in a way, of her son.

"I love him," Yoongi hiccuped, using the back of his hand to wipe his tears, "I love J-Jimin."

Mrs. Park smiled softly. "I know, honey."

"N-no," Yoongi mumbled, "I love him in a different way. I love him in a way he never will."

"You're in love with him?"

Yoongi nodded, tears welling in his eyes again. "He only sees me as his best friend, nothing more. I-it hurts so bad."

"Yoongi," Mrs. Park said, "How are you so sure he doesn't return your feelings?"

Yoongi stayed silent.

"You know, I was the one to ask Haewon out," she said, thinking back to when she and Mrs. Kim were college students with the tightest bond a friendship could give them. It was just that Mrs. Park wanted more. "I asked her out, and she said no, because she wasn't sure she could love me back the way I loved her."