13: A Close Call

"Stand by, Butterfly is moving in five," Taron commanded through his communication device as he strode with wide steps along the corridor that led to Mallory's room

"Stand by, Butterfly is moving in five," Taron commanded through his communication device as he strode with wide steps along the corridor that led to Mallory's room. Being seven minutes late on their original arrival time, he decided to go up and tell her to hurry after everyone else had failed to do so, he even contemplated dragging her out if he had to.

Invited by Kenny, Mallory was about to attend one of the biggest costume parties of the year, held by someone called Josh Bembridge, a huge name in the music production as Taron could gather.

"Mallory, for God's sake," he hissed as he knocked the door harder than he should, "we're so late, you will..."

"Okay, okay, I'm done," came the muffled reply from behind the closed door.

"Jeez," Taron sighed in exasperation as he took a couple steps back. Standing in front of the giant, golden mirror that was hanged on the wall of the corridor as a part of the decoration, Taron straightened his bowtie and made sure that his earpiece was in place, that's when he heard the click of Mallory's door.

"Thank Heavens," he cheered, only to stop in his tracks by the sight in front of him.

Mallory stood in the middle of the corridor, wearing a long, strapless, crimson dress that shimmered brightly under the light, the long slit reached over the middle of her thigh. long, purple gloves covered her arms to the elbows, and red high heels sheathed her feet. the flaming maroon, long-haired wig was the changing point of the entire costume, she looked almost unrecognizable.

"And you're supposed to be..." Taron spoke, narrowing his eyes as he left the incomplete sentence hanging in the air between them.

"Jessica Rabbit," she proclaimed, making a pose as she pouted her painted lips and seductively patted her overly-long lashes.

"Alright," Taron said, unable to hide his smile, "I'll buy it."

"Oh, look!" Mallory suddenly exclaimed, "you do smile! And I thought you don't have teeth," she added as she tried to take a step forward, almost stumbling over the long train of her dress.

The truth was, Mallory had never seen him smiling wide like that before, being the poker-faced, detached man that he was, the only response that she used to have from him was either a sideways smirk or a clipped comment, or nothing at all.

Seeing his smile sent a tingle of happiness to her heart, it was beautiful and brightened his features, making him look his real age.

"Are you ready, Sugar?" a masculine voice came from Mallory's room, it was Kenny's.

Taron's smile faded, he almost forgot that he was there as well.

"I'm ready, darling," she answered, attempting her best to mimic Jessica Rabbit's voice.

"Let's go then," Kenny replied as he walked to her, dressed up in a pair of red overall pants over a white sweater with a large, dotted bowtie.

"And you're supposed to be Roger Rabbit," Taron suggested, gesturing at the other man.