10: The Tip Of The Thread

"I need every surveillance footage you can put your hand on," Taron shouted through his cellphone, "I don't care how will you do that, you just do it!" he added before hanging up on whoever was on the other end

"I need every surveillance footage you can put your hand on," Taron shouted through his cellphone, "I don't care how will you do that, you just do it!" he added before hanging up on whoever was on the other end. Running a hand through his hair, Taron could still feel the adrenaline rushing in his veins as the smell of gasoline was still clear in his nostrils.

They were miraculously lucky that both of them didn't climb in the car when it went in flames, that, in addition to him being fast in pushing Mallory out off the flames way at the right time.

"Barney, do your job," he ordered the old man who abruptly jumped up of his seat at the mention of his name, "the media will go crazy about this by morning, I don't want a single soul outside this house to know about what happened, understood?"

"Yes, yes, understood," Barney nodded vigorously before trotting out of the room with his cellphone in his hand, Taron following his movement with a sullen glare.

Sighing, Taron shifted his sight toward the two hunched figures on the sofa next to him. Mallory sat small at its corner, hugging her knees to her chest as she cried her eyes out, still wrapped in his jacket while Maria sat close to her, smoothing her hair and whispering continuous reassurance words, a look of genuine concern was apparent on her features.

"I'm working on moving you out of here," Taron announced, taking Mallory's attention, "I'll take you to a safe house for a couple of days, just until we find out who..."

"Like hell you are!" she loudly interrupted, bolting up in standing position and taking a threatening step toward him.

"It's for your own safety," he tried to reason, feeling a bit of sympathy as he saw the condition she was in.

"I'm not going anywhere," she said, stamping her foot on the ground, "I'm staying here."

"Will you stop being a stubborn brat for a minute and try to see the whole picture here?" Taron queried, his voice is going higher than usual, "you could have died there, Mallory, if it wasn't for luck you'd be..."

"Then why am I having you?" she cut in, shrugging Taron's jacket off her shoulders as she placed her hands on her hips, "you're supposed to save me from dying, right? Isn't this what are you doing here? Or are you just as useless as the ones I had before?"

Taron nerves boiled, he understood that she was probably raving because of shock, but it still managed to push his buttons. Grinding his teeth, he was about to counter her accusations as his cellphone buzzed in his hand, looking at the screen, he took an involuntary step back as he saw the name written on its screen.

John Smith

Calling...

"Stay here, I'm still not done with you," he ordered, pointing a finger toward Mallory who threw herself back on the sofa with a harsh blow of breath out of her mouth.